Clare_Bear's smiley happy thread

What's Hot

Comments

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4134
    edited May 2014
    No offence taken at all! it's certainly doesn't seem to be the norm and I'm pretty humbled to have the option. I've got 5/6 years on most of the other undergrads, and I think my experience elsewhere (even though it's not directly related) has certainly helped on the job-seeking front. It'll be bloody nice to finally be earning some money above the bread-line for once though! :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3902
    edited May 2014
    mike_l;234814" said:
    Deadman said:

mike_l;234655" said:

Deadman said:Painting a 1957 Ford Anglia in RAF VC10 livery. You know the rules, pics or it never happened. Awesomes effort though, and is it the hemp over grey scheme?I think it's going to be featured in some ford magazine anyway Mike. I'll put some pics up if not though. You know your schemes! I'm impressed. No mate it's straight semi matt camouflage grey with the dark sea grey cheat line/flash. We're possibly putting a contrasting grey union flag on the roof too if we get time.My Dad is Ex-RAF, so having an interest in aircraft has always  been with me. I have Marshalls Aerospace, literally across the road from work, and when it was still an operational flying station, RAF Wyton (the actual airfield) is around a mile from where I live. Also when Alconbury was still a flying station, the flight path was literally right over my house!!!!
    Nice one Mike. I work with Marshalls closely here on the C130s. Actually I've stayed in the Sergeants Mess at Wyton. It was like stepping back in time to world war 2. So much of it is/was untouched. Great old unit. One of my faves. RAF Marham Sgts Mess in Norfolk had the best grub by far, mind!
    What trade was your Dad?
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    guitargeek62;235016" said:
    No offence taken at all! it's certainly doesn't seem to be the norm and I'm pretty humbled to have the option. I've got 5/6 years on most of the other undergrads, and I think my experience elsewhere (even though it's not directly related) has certainly helped on the job-seeking front. It'll be bloody nice to finally be earning some money above the bread-line for once though! :)
    For sure I was a "mature" student too in my late 20's and I agree it is a bit easier wiht some life eperience behind you.

I also feel your pain it was 5 years of poverty for me @ less then £4 to £5k a year to live on, work and extra dosh FTW. Not to mention student loans thankfully not as bad as now though as it just came in in year 3 for me.

Good luck dude and enjoy.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Deadman said:
    mike_l;234814" said:
    Deadman said:

mike_l;234655" said:

Deadman said:Painting a 1957 Ford Anglia in RAF VC10 livery. You know the rules, pics or it never happened. Awesomes effort though, and is it the hemp over grey scheme?I think it's going to be featured in some ford magazine anyway Mike. I'll put some pics up if not though. You know your schemes! I'm impressed. No mate it's straight semi matt camouflage grey with the dark sea grey cheat line/flash. We're possibly putting a contrasting grey union flag on the roof too if we get time.My Dad is Ex-RAF, so having an interest in aircraft has always  been with me. I have Marshalls Aerospace, literally across the road from work, and when it was still an operational flying station, RAF Wyton (the actual airfield) is around a mile from where I live. Also when Alconbury was still a flying station, the flight path was literally right over my house!!!!
    Nice one Mike. I work with Marshalls closely here on the C130s. Actually I've stayed in the Sergeants Mess at Wyton. It was like stepping back in time to world war 2. So much of it is/was untouched. Great old unit. One of my faves. RAF Marham Sgts Mess in Norfolk had the best grub by far, mind!
    What trade was your Dad?

Pilot, 40 years.

Yeah, I can hear the C-130s where they're doing the engine tests, the mound behind where they do the tests is only around 100 yards from my desk........

We do see plenty of other aircraft in as well, last year there was a B-17, Focke-Wulf, Me-109 (Buchon), Spitfires, Hurricanes ETC, as well as more modern stuff, Typhoons, occasionally the tankers from Mildenhall come in (Boeing 707), and plenty of other smaller aircraft.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3902
    Pilot? Sweet. They're amongst the most chilled out of the officer corps. Nowt to prove. Although I did have a drink with C17 jockey recently and he loved himself!
    Your Dad must have some stories to tell having served the maximum term.....
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Passed my NCTL numeracy and literacy tests yesterday, Institute of Physics scholarship assessment day Tuesday, then interview for a place on my course Thursday.

It feels like its been a long time coming, but it's all falling into place :D
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Deadman said:
    Pilot? Sweet. They're amongst the most chilled out of the officer corps. Nowt to prove. Although I did have a drink with C17 jockey recently and he loved himself!
    Your Dad must have some stories to tell having served the maximum term.....

I have heard a few.........

Mind next door is an Ex-Army Sergeant, who has a few to tell as well...........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

Yay I can finally post a smiley happy post in this thread.

After over 2 years of tests, scans and other unmentionables trying to get a definitive diagnosis for what has fooked my health the docs have now called it and have a way forward. Hoo bloody ra.

Only downside is 2 or more years on steroids and pain meds with all the possible problems they bring like autoimmune suppression et al.

But it should/could mean an almost full recovery down the line or at least it goes away for years and rinse and repeat if it comes back. 

So most excellent news for me and the hope of getting gigging again in the near ish future.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    johnnyurq said:

After over 2 years of tests, scans and other unmentionables trying to get a definitive diagnosis for what has fooked my health the docs have now called it and have a way forward. Hoo bloody ra.

Only downside is 2 or more years on steroids and pain meds with all the possible problems they bring like autoimmune suppression et al.

But it should/could mean an almost full recovery down the line or at least it goes away for years and rinse and repeat if it comes back. 

So most excellent news for me and the hope of getting gigging again in the near ish future.
    Excellent news for the rest of us too, mate. Yep, get out there and gig gig gig! ATB ...
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    johnnyurq said:

Excellent news.

It's the not knowing that's the worst part of getting an illness. Once you know, you can deal with it.

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    For once, I have a smiley happy thing.

Given my post about our financial woes with the dogs, I was pretty low...until a member of this very forum (who I've never had any dealings with) offered a no-strings-attached loan to cover the vet bills, for no reason other than it's a good thing to do.

This place amazes me sometimes. People, despite what's often said, are awesome.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2014
    Thanks for the kind words @Phil_aka_Pip and @mike_l and I am quietly confident.

You are right Mike the not getting a diagnosis you can pin a tail on and many blind alleys can be as destructive and stresful as the actual shit itself.

So even if I cannot gig again at least I can see a time for semi regular jamming and writing/recording etc, s'all good.

@digitalscream

That is ace and it is great to see that kind of thing happening. The mysterious samaritan deserves mucho kudos and plaudits for all the right reasons.

Well dione whoever you may be, I salute your kindness and compassion.

Yours too for your care for your doggy companions too dude.
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • minkyminky Frets: 10
    I got a £300 quid rebate of a previously rejected PPI claim out of the blue.

Result.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    My V key is broken
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Try them - they're good!
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 335
    it's a lovely day ...
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4134
    Just had my last exam.

http://i.imgur.com/VrmnuRL.png
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Lixarto said:
    Try them - they're good!
    I definitely will.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom