John Fahey

What's Hot
cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2565

A friend has posted this on Facebook and I was blown away. I wasn't aware of this guy or his brilliant playing.  Thought I'd share  :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rprrpr Frets: 310
    edited April 2014
    yeah, Fahey's quite big in the American free folk and alternative scene, tho not so known in the UK. ' In Christ there is no east or West' is one of those fingerstyle standards, a bit like 'Angie' is over here.
     There was a BBC 4 documentary on him about a month past, daresay it'll get repeated at some point.
    You might like more modern people like Glen Jones and Jack Rose.

I was lucky enough to have lunch with Jack Rose when I played on the same bill as his old band Pelt, it was quite a shock when he passed away. Very interesting and interested giant of a man.R.I.P

Also worth investigating contemporaries/ label mates of Fahey such as Sandy Bull and Robbie Basho (Takamo records). 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    Guitar Player mag had a great story on him not long after his death, very interesting life.  His music veered from traditional acoustic blues/folk to downright out there at times.  Always with skill and talent though. 

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom