best cover band?

What's Hot
racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 1006
i cannot make a vote myself as i have never seen any covers bands,but was wondering who you might vote for as the best band you have seen?

i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

The Hamsters did cracking ZZ Top and Hendrix sets.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3093

Led Zeppelin :)

+1 for the Hamsters.. saw them at Cropredy and it was like a Banbury Woodstock! Wah drenched wizardry aots.. 

"A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3313
    edited April 2014

A Surrey band of sessioners called Up All Night who used to play in the 80s and 90s. Their fabulous lead guitarist was Jamie Moses who's played with Brian May, The SAS Band, Olivia Newton John, The Hollies, Tom Jones, The Pretenders and he was also a member of the Stonesy band Broken English (do you remember the hit Coming On Strong)? Anyway, they churned out Steely Dan, Doobies, Eagles, Huey Lewis i.e. lots of West Coast stuff as well as Stones and Dire Straits. They were a class act with top playing and top vocals.

Nearly Dan - the Steely Dan tribute are good as are Limehouse Lizzy.

Another fabulous 80s/90s covers band were The Funkin' Barstewards who played funk stuff from EWF, Chic etc

• len62len62 Frets: 6

For the Scots with long memories from the glory days of the Cuinzie Neuk in Kinghorn during the 70s and 80s.

• Henry Gorman Band - Henry Gorman is still going, don't know about the band though.
    • Pallas -    best known for their own material but did a fine job of various prog rock covers, and they are still going.
    • Chasar -  before they went totally heavy metal did great cover versions, they are still going and apparently do a Rush set these days as well as their own material, plus Alec Pollock was/is a great guitar player.
    • Luxury Fitted Kittens - an off shoot of K Ding Ding Ding, an eclectic set and quality playing.
  • The best Beatles cover act I've seen would have to Oasis <:-P
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2014
    Fortheloveofguitar;203042" said:
    The best Beatles cover act I've seen would have to Oasis <:-P
    However their actual Beatles covers were shit. Unless you like plodding versions of "I am the Walrus" with a sprinkling of boredom and arrogance.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bootleg Beatles?

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2933
    Metallica. Their recent medley for the Dio tribute album was nothing less than frigging awesome.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30934
    Joe Bonamassa is very good.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    I've seen the Bootleg Beatles - was a cracking night out tbh. I'm not an obsessive so the minor stuff doesn't bother me ("he's not using the same snare as Ringo!" - who really gives a shit?) like it does to some.
    I have heard good things about Think Floyd, but never seen 'em.

I have discussed forming a Sabbath tribute band as a one-off joke with a couple of mates though. We are going to trademark the name Black Shabba.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    Hayseed Dixie.

Awesomeness on a stick.
    \m/
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    The Racketeers' Floyd set was quite good. I saw their last gig at The Milestone.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    Quite tempted to find a good Deep Purple tribute to go and see as the real thing last year weren't all that great - just made me want to go see/ listen to all the old stuff with someone who can actually sing.
    edited April 2014
    Quite tempted to find a good Deep Purple tribute to go and see as the real thing last year weren't all that great - just made me want to go see/ listen to all the old stuff with someone who can actually sing.

Try Pure Purple

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3093

I thought this was covers not tribs? Counterfeit Stones, Fred Zep in the Midlands... seen them loads of times.  

"A city star won’t shine too far"

• kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    The Solicitors are very good for Motown etc. Full brass section, which is nice. Easy star all stars do some excellent Dub versions of classic tunes

I thought this was covers not tribs?   

It is a bit of a weird question from the OP, not quite sure what he's really after. I'm not aware of many 'covers' bands that'd be nationally known, unlike the big tribute acts, so difficult to vote for the "best"

Try Pure Purple

Look good ( on their website, can't do the youtube link at the moment).They obviously get to the Midlands from time to time so I shall have to keep an eye out. They are at the Robin 2 next January but I can't plan that far ahead!

I went with my brother in law who has been a classic and prog rock fan for 30 odd years but never went to any gigs when he was younger ( he has a some serious academic qualifications and a very well paid job so I can't argue that hanging out at gigs was a better option for me at that age really!)  so he was really looking forward to DP ( I had seen a MKII reunion many years ago and they were a bit crap then so my expectations were low)and, I think, a bit dissapointed with how the gig was. So, sort of unfinished business.

• @EricTheWeary A chap I've gigged with a few times has just joined a Deep Purple tribute as a singer.

They are called Purple Tree (the idea being they cover Purple plus other offshoots from the same family tree, hence the name) and are playing the Kingfisher in Stourbridge on 28th May, apparently. Alas, I have a gig that night so can't go.

Had a quick YouTube search and only found one video - they sound pretty good but it features their previous singer, who was arguably the weak link (going by the vid). The new guy is definitely a very good singer - OK I WOULD say that, but hey..

• Quite tempted to find a good Deep Purple tribute to go and see as the real thing last year weren't all that great - just made me want to go see/ listen to all the old stuff with someone who can actually sing.

Try Pure Purple

The band on that video sound fantastic. The singer can... sing. I thought he was OK up until the high pitched bit in the middle and then it went a bit Pete Tong. My review of the vocals are they are a bit hit and miss at times... not that I could sing it better! Just my view.

I would certainly go see them if they were in my area. I will keep an eye out for their gigs!