best cover band?

What's Hot

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

The band on that video sound fantastic. The singer can... sing. I thought he was OK up until the high pitched bit in the middle and then it went a bit Pete Tong. My review of the vocals are they are a bit hit and miss at times... not that I could sing it better! Just my view.

I would certainly go see them if they were in my area. I will keep an eye out for their gigs!
    Yeah but his out of time and unmiked bongo playing during the solo section is pure Gillan ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    EricTheWeary;203115" said:
    Hayseed Dixie.

Awesomeness on a stick.

\m/
    Seen them three times and would happily pay to see them again

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I don't care for cover bands or tribute bands, personally.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

usedtobe said:

Me neither, I really wanted to be a lion tamer, but you know, it pays the bills. (actually it doesn't pay the bills)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Years ago there used to be a few good bands on the forces circuit one was Canned Rock complete with a quadraphonic PA system(late 70's early 80's and one of the best live bands I have seen for a covers band was called Beano, awesome band to watch.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

The current Guns'n'Roses line up...........

Saw Aussie Floyd a few years ago, they were absolutely brilliant, complete with Floyd-like lighting.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3092
    edited April 2014
    not_ishe_dj;203243" said:
    usedtobe said:

Me neither, I really wanted to be a lion tamer, but you know, it pays the bills.

(actually it doesn't pay the bills)
    I love coverbands.. you get paid and people who don't know you come to the gigs. :)

There's not a lot of work for lion tamers nowadays.

"A city star won’t shine too far"

not_ishe_dj;203243" said:
    usedtobe said:

Me neither, I really wanted to be a lion tamer, but you know, it pays the bills.

(actually it doesn't pay the bills)
    I love coverbands.. you get paid and people who don't know you come to the gigs. :)

There's not a lot of work for lion tamers nowadays.

I do actually like playing in cover bands, never got the hang of that songwriting stuff, much easier to get gigs this way. 

I don't go out of my way to see other cover bands though. 
  • paulhpaulh Frets: 0
    Hi On Maiden I think do a decent job, but for a proper fun night out and you like a bit of 80s hair metal then you can't beat these guys
    http://hairforce5.swingwing.co.uk/
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    RocknRollDave;203150" said:
    @EricTheWeary A chap I've gigged with a few times has just joined a Deep Purple tribute as a singer.

They are called Purple Tree (the idea being they cover Purple plus other offshoots from the same family tree, hence the name) and are playing the Kingfisher in Stourbridge on 28th May, apparently. Alas, I have a gig that night so can't go.

Had a quick YouTube search and only found one video - they sound pretty good but it features their previous singer, who was arguably the weak link (going by the vid). The new guy is definitely a very good singer - OK I WOULD say that, but hey..
    Ahh, okay will add them to my possibles. I'm not going to a family wedding in May so anything with my BIL will have to wait a few months whilst I live it down.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2169
    Kebabkid beat me to it! I was going to say Limehouse Lizzy.

Failing that the moogcookbook.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    Bidley said:
    Metallica. Their recent medley for the Dio tribute album was nothing less than frigging awesome.

Was just about to say the same thing. I love their Mercyful Fate medley too. Infact, they shouldn't write new material anymore (it's crap anyway) and concentrate on Garage Days lll.
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Like Mike I think Aussie Floyd are excellent as are MacFloyd.

Not strictly a covers band but Dread Zeppelin make smile.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    johnnyurq said:
    Like Mike I think Aussie Floyd are excellent as are MacFloyd.

Not strictly a covers band but Dread Zeppelin make smile.
    +1 on Dread Zeppelin.  :ar!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    It definitely takes talent to execute the songs the way they do @EricTheWeary and in such a tongue in cheek way too.

Some cannot stand them but well worth hearing them live.

johnnyurq said:
    It definitely takes talent to execute the songs the way they do @EricTheWeary and in such a tongue in cheek way too.

Some cannot stand them but well worth hearing them live.

They obviously studied the originals hard, not just a strum through.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31636
    I just don't get the whole tribute act thing, the last time I played the Limelight in Crewe all 30 other acts that month were bloody tributes.

I will however make an exception for Ian the Goat Sings Black Fucking Sabbath, they were awesome.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Band Substance, they're a good covers band. They used to do a lot of Foo's and U2s.

The Deloreans are worth a look too. They know how to get a crowd moving with the usual Stevie Wonder, Fleetwood Mac and SOF covers, plus more.
    i cannot make a vote myself as i have never seen any covers bands,but was wondering who you might vote for as the best band you have seen?
    @RaceFaceEC90, have you never been to a pub?! They're great places to see covers bands.
  • Why is this thread in the Gear section?
  • racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 1006
    i have in the past but don't drink anymore.

have never watched a covers band when i did see any music (strange but true).
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90