Recommend me a coffee maker

What's Hot
RolandRoland Frets: 8800
Looking for a "beans to espresso" machine.  I drink it black, so don't need milk steamers and gadgets.  Who uses one, and what can you recommend?
Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IanpdqIanpdq Frets: 131

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NervousJohnNervousJohn Frets: 191
    If you can bear having a separate grinder, a Gaggia Classic can make really good coffee once you get the hang of them.
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2483
    edited April 2014
    I've got one of the Delonghi ones, this one but in black (more metal, natch).
    Though it might be a bit cheap and nasty but it's actually really well thought out and I'm an ex-design engineer so I'm usually the first to point out where they've cut corners.
    We use expensive ones at work (Gaggia etc.) and TBH they're not as well made or designed.
    Admittedly the Delonghi doesn't have all the bells and whistles (ie no scrolling LED display etc.) but it makes espresso like a good un :) There's not a lot to play with in terms of making different brews, just the controls to set your prefered strength and volume (and grind size which is set once).
    I clean it about once every 2 months, which is no great chore as it's just so well designed inside (did I mention that?), you just unclip the main "block" which does all the work and give it a soak/rinse.
    Editted to add: Do it! It's one of the best things I ever bought for the house and gets a lot of use. Be warned though, you'll never go back to "lesser" home coffee :)
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4038
    I have a Gaggia Baby and like it, but it's got things you don't need.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Salma Hayek makes the best coffee ever.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8800
    Ianpdq said:
    Yes, got one of them, but it's not giving the taste I'm searching for
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9698
    She will be mine... Oh yes, she will be mine:

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Roland said:
    Ianpdq said:
    Yes, got one of them, but it's not giving the taste I'm searching for
    Have you tried tea?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1801
    Having worked in the fledging pre Starbucks London coffee business. Frankly to anyone who loves coffee. Bean to cup was and is a low grade solution designed to de skill the world of coffee so big restaurant trade could offer the increasingly popular choice of espresso latte etc. With total portion and cost control and no more skill than a student pushing a button. Yes everyone likes a gadget but frankly bean to cup makes an inferior product. Get a nice grinder a decent classic machine with a decent psi and you will love every cup. With bean to cup you will be fine whilst the novelty lasts. 6 months in you will wonder why the coffee does not taste so good then you will do the endless different bean brands and finally reach the conclusion. I would use a French press every time as it makes good coffee rather than drink from a bean to cup. Sorry rant mode over Must be the caffeine :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    imalone said
    Have you tried tea?
    I drink more tea than coffee
    Get a nice grinder a decent classic machine with a decent psi and you will love every cup.... I would use a French press every time as it makes good coffee rather than drink from a bean to cup. Sorry rant mode over Must be the caffeine
    This type of information is gold dust. The grinder I understand. What's a French press?
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Roland;203485" said:
    Jez6345789 said:

Get a nice grinder a decent classic machine with a decent psi and you will love every cup.... I would use a French press every time as it makes good coffee rather than drink from a bean to cup.

Sorry rant mode over

Must be the caffeine

This type of information is gold dust. The grinder I understand. What's a French press?
    It's like a normal press, but with tongues.
    My V key is broken
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    I recommend one of the cute girlies in Picnic Cafe, Reading
    play every note as if it were your first
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
    Roland;203485" said:
    Jez6345789 said:

Get a nice grinder a decent classic machine with a decent psi and you will love every cup.... I would use a French press every time as it makes good coffee rather than drink from a bean to cup.

Sorry rant mode over

Must be the caffeine

American for cafetiere.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Ianpdq said:
    One of these /\ plus Carte Noir ground coffee (which you keep in the fridge), and it's job done.

• Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1801
    A French Press is one of those classic bistro things, with fresh ground beans makes good coffee to the exact strength you fancy. Its big advantage for me is it allows me to pick different blends as per my moods. No it does not make true espresso but you can easily make a small double strength brew pressed quickly and you can get a good base for Cappuccino etc. 

The other thing why I like just a good old fashioned espresso machine is cleanliness. One of the key things to good espresso based coffee is hygiene. Coffee has a lot of oil content that quickly goes builds up on parts, it quickly oxidises and leaves sour flavours and finally off flavours if not cleaned down. Commercially you flush through every couple of hours and clean all parts twice a day if you are doing it properly sometimes more if you are pushing a lot of beverages through. 

So a good home espresso machine should be easily to clean properly at the end of the day. Bean to cup design can get build up.

I understand peoples love of push buttton but for me a solid espresso and seperate grinder is the way to go. 
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1145
    I'd like to know how I can stretch milk for my cappucino without a coffee machine. I watched an awesome tutorial recently where the Barista said you had to get the texture into the milk while it was cool, then let it heat up to around 70 degress which he did simply by holding the jug and using his senses.
    I use a Moka pot, or French press/cafetiere so no steam wand available.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
    I still might get an Aeropress for work as there is hot water available but no stove top or even much of a space to plug something in and I have either instant or have to spend a fortune at Costa. I have a grinder and a bialetti at home but really that's just a sunday morning type thing TBH ( so that by the time the kids get up I'm as high as a kite). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NervousJohnNervousJohn Frets: 191
    roundthebend;203640" said:
    I'd like to know how I can stretch milk for my cappucino without a coffee machine. I watched an awesome tutorial recently where the Barista said you had to get the texture into the milk while it was cool, then let it heat up to around 70 degress which he did simply by holding the jug and using his senses.

I use a Moka pot, or French press/cafetiere so no steam wand available.
    Get a clean empty 1 pint plastic milk bottle. Microwave up 100ml of milk per cup, so that it's hot but not boiling and pour into the milk bottle and replace the cap firmly. Then furiously shake the milk bottle shouting "froth! Damn you!" . After 30s or so you'll have froth to make a passable cappuccino. The texture will be better with a steam wand though.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1145
    I currently use a small coiled whisk. I did have a battery powered one but it got dunked in water :x
    I'll try your technique, it sounds easier.