Which Looper pedal?

What's Hot
MatthewShredderyMatthewShreddery Frets: 861
edited July 2018 in FX
I want a looper for my acoustic duo.
It needs to function like this:

Press a switch to record, press another to stop recording and does not play back what you just recorded. Hit another button to play the loop back later in the song.

I simply can not get on with those pedals where you have to hit the button twice to get it to stop, then hold it down for "2 seconds" to clear. 

Any recommendations please?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I’m sure the boss-rc300 would do this. I have the previous generation version (RC50?) and I think it would do that (but haven’t used it in a while so would need to check). It’s quite a big bit of kit though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • solarsolar Frets: 174
    Ditto X2 and X4 have a dedicated stop button.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MrMusicMrMusic Frets: 44
    +1 for the Ditto X2 or X4, great pedals!
  • Cheers guys!
    Will take a look at those.
    I have a Fractal Axe Fx that can do it, but to take that plus the MFC101 just for a looper is a bit OTT!
  • Also, my Roland Cube has the perfect looper, coupled with my Bright Onion foot switch, but the amp sounds turd with an acoustic guitar...
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633

Well then, DON'T  buy a JamMan! They work that way. Mind you, my son is over the moon with his.

Dave.

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    You can get the boss rc-1. Add the footswitch that you already use for your cube and it'll do exactly what you want, I.e. After you've recorded your loop, pressing the external footswitch will stop recording, save the loop but not play it until you hit the main footswitch to trigger it. 
  • @Branshen ;
    I already use a Bright Onion custom pedal for the Cube. The thing is is that the Cube sounds rubbish for acoustic stuff, so I need a dedicated looper to use ion front of my AER Acoustic Amp.
    Thanks
    edited July 2018
    I think you're misunderstanding my post. The boss rc-1 is a dedicated loop pedal! 
  • Sorry, my bad. Think I'm just gonna get a ditto 
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265

It needs to function like this:

Press a switch to record, press another to stop recording and does not play back what you just recorded. Hit another button to play the loop back later in the song.

I think the part I've highlighted in bold is where you may have a problem with many loopers, especially the simpler ones. I would check carefully in the manual of any you consider that it can operate like this - the 'usual' way of using a looper will be to go into play or overdub mode when you end a loop.

However, I've just tried this with my Digitech JamMan SoloXT and it IS possible - but you will need the additional FS3 (? or similar name) 3-button external footswitch (or a DIY equivalent - it's a simple circuit). The additional footswitch gives you patch up, patch down and stop (single press) with start loop and play/overdub/clear configurable on the main pedal footswitch (also double-tap for stop as mentioned above).

So, with the additional footswitch -

You press the main footswitch to start loop recording.
    Pressing the external stop switch will stop loop recording (but the loop is held in the memory).
    Pressing the main footswitch again starts loop playback of the loop you recorded previously.

When stopped, pressing the patch up/down to an adjacent blank patch will instantly give you a clean slate to start the process again.

Hope that helps.

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    Branshen said:
    You can get the boss rc-1. Add the footswitch that you already use for your cube and it'll do exactly what you want, I.e. After you've recorded your loop, pressing the external footswitch will stop recording, save the loop but not play it until you hit the main footswitch to trigger it. 
    This. The RC-2 and 3 will also work the same way with an external foot-switch but the RC-1 is the best for simple foolproof live use.
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1014
    I have an RC-1 with an external footswitch and mine doesn't work the way that the OP wants. When you hit the external stop switch it stops the loop and wipes it completely, so it's impossible to play it later in a song.
  • To clarify - I've owned the DigiTech Jam Man Solo XT, and connected a FSX3 footswitch to it, and it kinda worked, but was a faff. 
    I'm a simpleton and want a simple life!
    One one button to start/loop,overdub another button to stop/clear
    victorludorum I said:
    I have an RC-1 with an external footswitch and mine doesn't work the way that the OP wants. When you hit the external stop switch it stops the loop and wipes it completely, so it's impossible to play it later in a song.
    How odd. It should only clear the loop if you press and hold the external footswitch for 2 seconds. 
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I've never played live so this may be a naive question, but why can't you pre-record your loops, save them to slots on your looper and call them up at the gig? 
    Branshen said:
    victorludorum I said:
    How odd. It should only clear the loop if you press and hold the external footswitch for 2 seconds. 
    Maybe it's because of the switch, but I thought I'd bought the right one. Bright Onion Micro Momentary, which is supposed to do what the Boss FS-5U does.
    Branshen said:
    victorludorum I said:
    Maybe it's because of the switch, but I thought I'd bought the right one. Bright Onion Micro Momentary, which is supposed to do what the Boss FS-5U does.

I've just realized that mine is an RC-2, the older version, so maybe that's why.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Fuengi said:
    I've never played live so this may be a naive question, but why can't you pre-record your loops, save them to slots on your looper and call them up at the gig? 
    Looks better to record the loop live. Just need to make sure you build loops in a way that doesn't drag on for the audience.
    I use a pigtronix infinity for my acoustic sets, really brilliant and flexible. Oh and expensive. Quality kit though.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12900
    edited July 2018
    There are two "stop modes" on the rc-1. The default behaviour doesn't wipe the loop but the second one does. you must have changed yours somehow. 

See manual for more info:

https://imgur.com/xWujUWB.jpg