It might be 1976 all over again!

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
The Met Office has announced that they think this heatwave could last for another six weeks.  This could rival 1976 at this rate.  Pah... most of you nippers won’t remember ‘76.

Drought.  Standpipes in the streets, people queuing with buckets to get water.  Government advice was to share bathwater.  Tarmac melting off the roads, before the days of air conditioning...  small boys for goalposts, spam fritters eh?!

About bloody time we had a “Phew! Wot a scorcher!” headline in the tabloids.  It’s only been.... carry the one....  minus the 7....  er.....  forty two years since we had a decent summer.

I think I’ll watch this later....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oATKGjE9khI

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    So long as Punk doesn't come back again I'll tolerate it
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    5reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3902
    When are the riots scheduled to start? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Bloody media overreaction to a bit of sunshine
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
    Were there riots in “76?  What over ?
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Emp_Fab said:
    Ice cream ran out - so probly that
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3902
    Hot weather is proven to get the natives restless isn't it? Just needs a bit of a trigger and we're off.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    I first put in an appearance in ‘76, so I know all about that particular summer from the stories handed down to me.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    I've offered to share baths with several of the hotter ladies in the village, I'm a community spirited kinda guy. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    1976...I was introduced by my dad to the fun to be had from  "dry slope sledging" in the Rhondda valleys. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    If punk comes back I'll tolerate it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4914
    Emp_Fab said:
    Ice cream ran out - so probly that

So did spuds.

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    1976? Pah, the craziest summer was 11 years ago - that’s 2007 for those of you too good to do arithmetic.

Those were the days. Rain, rain, more rain, floods, flooding, leaving work early and escaping in my car as the River Severn burst it’s banks and seeing Worcester Racecourse under water the waters were rising, and streaming off the fields to flood roundabouts. Then getting to a mile from home, and the police were turning people around, because the water had washed away the road that blocked the route to the next town. Now THAT was something.

But back to Summer of ‘76 (and that great song by Springsteen) and showing my age, I remember nearly falling down the cracks in my local park, because the earth was so dry. Plenty of family trips to the seaside that year, too.
  • 77ric77ric Frets: 539
    If the met office are saying 6 more weeks, that basically means it might be 6 more days or 6 more months. They rarely get it just right. 

As long as it rains enough occasionally to keep my water butts topped up I’ll tolerate it, not to bothered either way about the punk. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12363
    76 was a fabulous year for me. I was 21 and a bunch of us went up to the coast at Inverness for a fortnight. We were supposed to stay at one of my mates cousin’s house but it was so hot we ended up camping out on the beach. I discovered decent Scottish beer and stovies, we went up to Findhorn and got stoned, I met a nice obliging wee lassie and shagged myself to a standstill. Great times.  :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4670
    boogieman said:
    76 was a fabulous year for me. I was 21 and a bunch of us went up to the coast at Inverness for a fortnight. We were supposed to stay at one of my mates cousin’s house but it was so hot we ended up camping out on the beach. I discovered decent Scottish beer and stovies, we went up to Findhorn and got stoned, I met a nice obliging wee lassie and shagged myself to a standstill. Great times.  :)
    Dad? Is that you? You owe me a shit load of birthday presents 
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    I wasn't even a twinkle in the milkman's eye in '76... 

Must have been scary for you guys when they invented trains and automobiles! ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12363
    boogieman said:
    Dad? Is that you? You owe me a shit load of birthday presents 
    Wee Mikey!!

She told me she was on the pill, honest. 
  • westwest Frets: 996
    jumpers fer goal posts, purple chopper mk 11 's side stands sinking in to soft tarmac , tip top and cider jubbly addiction , skateboard first sighting at newquay euphoria , mount wise , water bowser at end of street , alpine pop man danger , the best ever , sharon richards  front top bottom and trouser fiddle , sweat choc ice, ice cold top deck shandy  .....
  • westwest Frets: 996

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I was 13. I remember me and my best mate running around the streets in swimming trunks using fairy liquid bottles as water pistols. Pavements were very hot and the Tarmac on the road would bubble up.