It might be 1976 all over again!

What's Hot

Comments

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Summer 1976 was crap for a kid.

Way too hot, especially in crap nylon clothes.
     You coudn't cool down with a proper shower, just those crappy hose things attached to the bath tap.

Crap food, it was always something with boiled potatoes. A salad was a slice of tomato, lettuce and salad cream.

Thirsty? How about a small glass of luke warm orange squash (ice hadn't been invented in '76)

To top it all off Creepy Jimmy Savile was always on Top of The Pops.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5161
    1976......the smell of calamine lotion  B)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14234
    tFB Trader
    I was 16 - just taken O levels - yes O levels then - Recall sat on the brown grass bank at school and the headmaster had allowed boys to remove jacket and tie when outside only - WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Recall the Test match series against the W Indies and that brown field and as Bryan Adams said 'the summers use to last forever'
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    Beer consumption has gone up significantly, as has my chance for a decent bonus this year....  bring on the sun!!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
    west said:

That was interesting!  The cameraman’s unerring technique of zooming into the breasts of every woman passing was entertaining!  Compare that clip to a modern day equivalent and you immediately notice that in 1976, almost every person is white, nobody is overweight and nobody is staring at a little screen.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Emp_Fab said:
    west said:

That was interesting!  The cameraman’s unerring technique of zooming into the breasts of every woman passing was entertaining!  Compare that clip to a modern day equivalent and you immediately notice that in 1976, almost every person is white, nobody is overweight and nobody is staring at a little screen.
    Earlier than 1976, but I remember we had one fat kid in our year at school, and yes his nickname was Fatty. On end of year sports day he won the 60 yard sprint. Definition of 'fat' has changed a bit....
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I remember bits of the summer of 1976. Most of all I remember the swarm of ladybirds around our house. I also remember the washing situation, and now I wonder why my dad bothered having a bath last. I think I'd prefer to stink rather than bathe in tepid scummy water.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Fretwired said:
    I think we might have been spoiled more than in 1976. This spell of lovely weather started at the beginning of May and has only had several minor blips since. There has been other nice, dry summers since 1976 though, not counting this one of course. This spell is exceptional though.
    Way to go yet to beat '76 (BBC News).
    Ahh, that must be true if the BBC says it is :)
    The UK was hot and dry for weeks. My sister lives on the Welsh/England border and they've had plenty of heavy rain. Even London has had some rain .. it needs to be hot and dry for a lot longer to beat 76 UK-wide. Some places may be worse off.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    poking lollie ice sticks into bubble tarmac and sticking them together to make flying objects.
    Chewing gum softened and freely available off the floor.
     A cup of pop from an opened bottle at the corner shop.
     BIn raids on the beach for lemonade bottles to return for the reward.
    queue  up for the one remaining tap in the park that still worked.
    Swimming in the canal behind all the factories trying to avoid a floating pigs head from the local Dewhurst (sausage factory) no not the local bike though there were a few bike parts and prams in there  though most bike and pram parts had been combined to create various forms of transport. 
    Swimming in your undies because they were y fronts and looked like a cozy usually with a picture of a shark on the front (lash the matching vest).
    Hop scotch that didnt get washed away overnight.
    Cutting the moulded rubber studs off football boots to make a nice new pair of trainers,(ground was too hard for studs)
    Changing the handle bars on your bike for cow horns to rival everyone elses Chopper,Chipper or Tomahawk. ACTION MAN! Pushing Scout car up and down the ramps at the end of the maisonette block driving all the gable enders nuts. 
    all topped off with Calamine Lotion and a layer of skin hanging from your back.

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6682
    edited July 2018
    I was 16 - just taken O levels - yes O levels then - Recall sat on the brown grass bank at school and the headmaster had allowed boys to remove jacket and tie when outside only - WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    about 100 boys in my school had a "sit in" on the school field because we weren't allowed to take our blazers off. The headmaster caved in and let it happen. 

The entire school was called for an emergency assembly where the headmaster told the school that it was a bad thing to do but that it showed how upset we all were so he conceded. It was a total result, and the start of the now famous Welsh Revolution.  =)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33796
    It never gets under 25 here and it is usually over 90% humidity as well.

• Last month, it was "...since 1966" and this month it's "...since 1976". All I can say is thank fuck Andy Murray won Wimbledon, so we no longer have to hear "...since Fred Perry." :)
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14234
    edited July 2018 tFB Trader
    Dancin Queen - Silly Love Songs - Save your kisses for me - The combine harvester

So no shortage of crap in the charts

But as any young lad from the 70's will recall we still had Pan's People in 1976 - Dee Dee for me - nice legs

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    Last month, it was "...since 1966" and this month it's "...since 1976". All I can say is thank fuck Andy Murray won Wimbledon, so we no longer have to hear "...since Fred Perry." :)

He's Scottish so it's doesn't count.  No Englishman has won the boring tennis tournament since Perry.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12364
    Back then we still had a 1930s open air lido near us, before the council decided they were “outdated” and closed it in the early 80s.  (Silly buggers would’ve made a fortune out of it now of course, it’s retro-trendy innit?) My memory of that summer is of everyone slathering themselves in cooking oil, trying to speed up their tan. Sun cream? Nah, that’s for wimps. How did we not all die of melanomas? Also the girls rubbing lemon juice into their hair to try to blonde it up. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    My recollection of 1976, was of unrelenting dry heat.  It stopped raining in April and didn't rain again until October.

This time the West of the Isles seem to be getting regular relief from showers too.  Didn't happen in '76.

ISTR 1977 being even hotter, but not so much drought as it pissed down for the Reading Festival ;)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    we're getting rain in the west? no one told me, or the grass.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    I remember 1976 well . Me and my girlfriend went to stay in Machynlleth with my dad and his new family. Went on my motorbike. Weather broke on the ride home, pissed it down. 

No potatoes that autumn, parsnip chips were lovely. 

Labour government appointed Dennis Howell as Minister for Drought and within a week it was over. Let's hope May doesn't appoint one just yet , I like this weather.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    It can NEVER be the same as 1976 as for that summer I spent all day riding to keep cool on my brand new Yamaha RD200 electric.... and then there was the leggy, busty Tina riding pillion in her teeny white bikini gripping me like mad...

http://i64.tinypic.com/2l9kzz8.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom