Warmoth Strat Tremolo Rout - Gotoh 510 Tremolo FST vs Steel Block

What's Hot
I have a Warmoth Strat body on which I would like to fit a Gotoh 510 tremolo.

There are two choices of blocks - the FST and the steel block.

With the steel block: it looks like I will need to have the tremolo rout extended to allow sufficient movement of the block.

Before I commission that - would someone please advise me as to whether I might possibly get away without needing to enlarge the routing, if I went for the same tremolo but with the Zinc FST block?

Expert opinions deeply appreciated...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GluedtoMusicGluedtoMusic Frets: 74
    tFB Trader
    Do you know which side of the route you think needs enlarging (i.e to allow pulling up on the arm, block moving forwards in the route or pushing down on the arm, block moving backwards in the route)?

I believe the blocks are the same thickness at the top, but the bottom of the FST block is definitely bevelled on the back, so will potentially allow more pushing down of the trem arm.

The distance between the front of the block and the front of the trem is the same on both blocks (and so is the depth) so pulling up movement will be the same on both blocks.
    Supplier of Gotoh, Fender, Gibson, Faber, Schaller, Hipshot, Floyd Rose, TonePros, Graph Tech, Hosco luthier tools and many more.
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 815
    Hi Neil, thanks for your reply...

It would be to allow more downward movement of the tremolo arm - block moving backwards in the route, to flatten the notes...
    tFB Trader
    The FST block may allow more downward movement of the arm, depending on where the bevel on the block sits in relation to the body route, if I get a chance tomorrow I will try and measure it for you.
    Supplier of Gotoh, Fender, Gibson, Faber, Schaller, Hipshot, Floyd Rose, TonePros, Graph Tech, Hosco luthier tools and many more.
    Thanks Neil - that's very kind of you...
    tFB Trader
    There are small differences between the size of the Gotoh 510T-FE1 block (which has the FST mechanism) and the NS510-FE1 (which has a bevelled block but no FST mechanism),

The 510T-FE1 is more cutaway at the bottom, but slightly thicker at the top, here's the measurements,

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks Neil for taking so much trouble...
    ..and I just bought something from your eBay store, even if something small, it felt nice.

Kind regards
    Jay