Amplifier Stands

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited April 2014
    martinw said:

I use another cab as a stand.

Best of both worlds; it's off the deck and on it too.

That's OK if you can be bothered to carry another cab about.

EDIT otherwise, standing your stuff on top of the bass player's rig might work, subject to the intra-band politics which might ensue
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • benvallbenvall Frets: 83
    Phil_aka_Pip;207354" said:
    martinw said:

I use another cab as a stand.Best of both worlds; it's off the deck and on it too.

EDIT otherwise, standing your stuff on top of the bass player's rig might work, subject to the intra-band politics which might ensue
    One bass player I used to play with, on more than one occasion, placed a beer on his amp. The vibrations from his amp sent it crashing to the floor by his feet.
    benvall said:
    One bass player I used to play with, on more than one occasion, placed a beer on his amp. The vibrations from his amp sent it crashing to the floor by his feet. 
    Beer on hot valves, or on any live electronics for that matter, is an extremely BAD idea. 
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72336
    benvall said:
    You'd think even a bass player would learn after the first time! Beer is expensive :).

(Disclaimer: I am a bass player as well ;).)

This is actually one of the reasons I don't like amps with top vents or top-mounted control panels though. Sooner or later, someone will do that and it will happen. With an amp with a completely closed top, the beer will usually just drip off the edges without getting into the amp.

Or you could design the amp like this as a preventative measure…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• @icbm no idea what that is, but that's a cool looking amp.

I think the solution is pretty clear.

4x12. ;)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72336
    edited April 2014
    @icbm no idea what that is, but that's a cool looking amp.
    It's a Marshall model 2200 100W Lead Combo. Unfortunately they're not as cool as they look, they're from Marshall's infamous solid-state series of 1976… they sound pretty crap, then tend to blow up.

The odd cabinet is much less clever in reality too - the top handle is mounted on it so it hangs at a very awkward angle when you're carrying it, and actually it's a pain not being able to put *anything* (not just drinks) on top of it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    I have this stand.

http://www.dv247.com/assets/products/3183_l.jpg

It doesn't lift very high, but it's light and very sturdy and slight lift plus slight tilt is all I need.
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    martinw said:

I use another cab as a stand.

Best of both worlds; it's off the deck and on it too.

I use a pair of 1x12s. Hardly a struggle.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3072
    I use one of those Auralex mats with 2 cabs. Very good at keeping me out of the bass frequencies. I thought it'd be all snake oil but I was very pleased with the results.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    I have this stand.

It doesn't lift very high, but it's light and very sturdy and slight lift plus slight tilt is all I need.

Just as a matter of interest, how does it lift the amp off the ground ? It looks like approx a foot from the pic.

dilbert
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1132
    edited April 2014
    I've got one of these, which is height adjustable so it will go pretty high or lower down for more stability. I actually used to have my rack on the stand and the cab leaning back against the bottom legs, which pointed it at my head...which is what i wanted at the time. But to be honest a 4x12 is a far better solution...

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    edited April 2014 tFB Trader
    dilbert;210715" said:
    monquixote said:

I have this stand.

http://www.dv247.com/assets/products/3183_l.jpg

Just as a matter of interest, how does it lift the amp off the ground ? It looks like approx a foot from the pic.

dilbert
    It depends how you angle it but it's in the ballpark of a foot

Them tilty ones don't look good for a head perched on a 2x12
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Them tilty ones don't look good for a head perched on a 2x12

I've alwyas gigged with a head/cab set-up and I've never found anything workable. I had a Gator roller amp case thing that was billed as also being an amp-stand, but it was pretty unstable I wouldn't trust it with a head on top.

I go for two 2x12s myself, sometimes I plug the bottom one in, but it's mainly there to raise up the top one.

Another HB G212 Vintage might be cheaper than a flight case to put the first cab in (and on top of when in use)! I just bought a Roqsolid cover for the first cab ...
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    I'm liking the look of the QuikLok stand in the Catthan's post. During rehearsals, I stick my combo or cab on top of a Marshall 4x12 which is on a castor tray, so my speaker is pretty much at head height, which is excellent, and I can hear everything (cock-ups included). But that's not available in boozers, so I end up sticking the cab on beer crates, tables, chairs, whatever is available. Only sometimes, there's nothing suitable.

As I haven't bought any gear for ages, I reckon it's just the sort of thing I could justify buying to the missus. Or for the missus, as Easter is coming up.

Catthan said:
    Don't know about lifting a combo to 1m but I'm getting this

Has it arrived yet? If so, what's the dimensions when it's all folded down?

• CatthanCatthan Frets: 357
    Catthan said:
    Don't know about lifting a combo to 1m but I'm getting this

Has it arrived yet? If so, what's the dimensions when it's all folded down?
    It has, not at home ATM to measure up but you around 70 cm high and 40 cm wide and 6 kg should be in the ballpark. Got the 2x12 on and angle is nice and the head will sit high enough but though it looks structurally sound, there might be a limit to how heavy the head can be. I'll try with a mesa head in the end of the month. So far though it looks like a more elegant and weight -wise good enough solution compared to a chair or a stool. I'll get back with more once I fit the head on it.
    So, reasonably compact when folded. Sounds good so far.