The War on Drugs

What's Hot
fnptfnpt Frets: 746
How come I've just found out about these guys?!

The interpretation of the video is a few comments down by someone called cameron. Having lost my wife less than two years ago, I felt really moved about it.

____
"You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fnptfnpt Frets: 746
    edited July 2018
    This is another great song by them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkLOg252KRE
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I've got "A Deeper Understanding" and "Lost in The Dream".

A punter recommended them at a gig of ours, I'd met him a couple of times and chatted about music so he knows the sort of stuff I like, and he said I should check them out. Haven't seen him since to say thanks though!
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3024
    edited July 2018
    Holding on is a classic driving song. The new album last year didn't really grab me and felt not up to Lost in a Dream's level. But it's a slow burner; I've been giving it another go this last couple of weeks and it has now revealed its brilliance as great, great album.
  • Hick81Hick81 Frets: 122
    Great band. Probably best gig i've ever seen was them in Sheffield a few years back, seen them a few times since. Lost in the dream is a masterpiece. 
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1655
    Nice stuff.. sounds a bit like Boy And Bear
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26993
    Great band. Their recent Grammy win was what got my attention.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Probably the most played band on my playlists all year.
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591
    Saw them support The National (who you should check out if you like WOD) they have some great albums .

Here's Adam G's rig run down

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    I bought the last album because it was so lauded on here - didn’t grab me massively after a couple of listens - a bit ‘samey’ and compressed sounding.

I’ll give it another go....
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    Need to get the new album. Lost in the Dream is a seminal piece of music. Fantastic live too. I originally got into them/him through Kurt Vile.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited July 2018
    markblack said:
    Saw them support The National (who you should check out if you like WOD) they have some great albums .

Here's Adam G's rig run down

Seems like a decent fella, he had to sell a prized guitar too, to pay the rent.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • HPhillipsmusicHPhillipsmusic Frets: 188
    edited July 2018
    I hate to selflishly plug, but

https://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-radar/like-kurt-vile-war-drugs-night-flights-new-ep-2357092

My band just got a nice connection thrown up by NME, if you like WOD you might like Night Flight!
    We played before them at All Points East festival a few weeks ago - there set was unbelievably good - Adam Granduciels guitar solos punch through the band off the stage and onto your face in a way i've never experienced before

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    gusman2x said:
    Need to get the new album. Lost in the Dream is a seminal piece of music. Fantastic live too. I originally got into them/him through Kurt Vile.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • I bought the last album because it was so lauded on here - didn’t grab me massively after a couple of listens - a bit ‘samey’ and compressed sounding.

I’ll give it another go....
    I am going to have another go at them as well - I tried before after reading reviews that sounded incredible - mentioning krautrock and psychedelia - but in reality I found them a little conventional for my taste.... I'll go again though 

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352

I think they are great and a refreshing change to a lot of music out there. Real compositional skill to make all those layers work together without becoming a mush. I was hesitant that it would work live, but the sound at Ally Pally was amazing and its one of the most memorable gigs I've been to in 34years of seeing live music.

Lost in a Dream is just stunning, but like others have said, A Deeper Understanding is a slow burner but also very, very good. Their earlier music is definitely worth listening too as well, though slightly different

• fnptfnpt Frets: 746
    And what a tasteful, melodic guitarist Adam Granduciel is:

____