New Slash track "driving rain"

thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
6/10.

Lyrics are safe and well-used, guitar solo felt done on the spot (I read he prefers that now compared to when he'd compose them for Appetite).. Myles has good range but lacks that grit in the voice. It all feels quite familiar.

On the upside, I like positive feel to it and the chorus is upbeat.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    How does he define on the spot?

Surely the song has been rehearsed prior to hitting the studio, so he has a good idea what to play? 
  • bluechargeboybluechargeboy Frets: 1906
    Like it! Thanks for the heads-up. :)

Is it me or does the middle eight (2:18 ish) sound uncannily like the verse of "Standing In The Sun"?
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    I think lyrics were borrowed from another song which can be cool.

I think he takes a few takes over the known progression. Hope the rest of the album is better 
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2608
    tFB Trader

Cheers for the heads up...

And yeah I like it over all...  Im just finding it a bit samey...  I just think Slash could do better if you know what I mean...

On the other hand I don't listen to Slash singles, only albums and usually as albums I like what they do.. So im willing to give it a good go when it comes.. But im not expecting much more than this single in terms of music style... In saying that I will probably still enjoy it  :)

Did anybody get the appetite remaster? I'm not going to bother but curious to hear..
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Did anybody get the appetite remaster? I'm not going to bother but curious to hear..

Nope didn't bother, it sound wrong no matter what after all these years of listening to the original. Treat yourself to an original artwork vinyl version from eBay instead to put on the wall.
    Agree!!
  • Did anybody get the appetite remaster? I'm not going to bother but curious to hear..
    Ended up getting the two disc version, as remasters go it's at the more complimentary end of things, the original mix was already good so the changes are subtle, Duff's bass is slightly fuller with a touch more low end, the harmonies are clearer & there's a bit more punch overall. The second disc a is a mixture of things, with some previously released, some rarities & all shown a bit of attention to up the sound quality.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723

A bit disappointing to be honest, and Miles Kennedy's voice..... :( 

• dudududu Frets: 105

Is it me or does the middle eight (2:18 ish) sound uncannily like the verse of "Standing In The Sun"?
    It isn't only you, that was the first thing that I noticed as well.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    Ended up getting the two disc version, as remasters go it's at the more complimentary end of things, the original mix was already good so the changes are subtle, Duff's bass is slightly fuller with a touch more low end, the harmonies are clearer & there's a bit more punch overall. The second disc a is a mixture of things, with some previously released, some rarities & all shown a bit of attention to up the sound quality.
    Listening to it now, and I'd agree.  Just seems to have a bit more clarity which gives it a bit of extra punch.  It's not like the Brendan O'Brien remix of 'Ten' that I unwittingly listened to one day, that weirded me out.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4917
    Life In the Fast Lane....
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    I want to like this, really I do.  If Miles Kennedy wasn't singing I think I would enjoy it more.  
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    I didn't really expect the album to be a progression, much. Bar a few songs, World on Fire was nothing compared to Apocalyptic Love. I'm just hopeful that the songs are more listenable on this one (as they were with Apocalyptic Love). 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/