Greenday at Reading

What's Hot
Just watched this on BBC4.

How long has Billie Joe been playing Fenders? I did like his single pickup Telecaster Custom.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3322
    Just watched this on BBC4.

How long has Billie Joe been playing Fenders? I did like his single pickup Telecaster Custom.
    Since about 1993, its only more recently that he started playing Gibson live.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    The Strat he was playing at the end sounded a lot better (to my ears).
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    edited August 2013
    grungebob said:
    Since about 1993
    Ha, shows how much I know. I can only recall seeing him play a Les Paul Junior.
  • jimmydjimmyd Frets: 60
    Preferred the sound of the les paul junior the other guitarist was playing. Really great, sleazy garage rock tone...
  • jimmyd said:
    Preferred the sound of the les paul junior the other guitarist was playing. Really great, sleazy garage rock tone...
    But of course. You really can't beat a Les Paul Junior.
  • Got to say, they're still an utterly fantastic live act after all this time. I find it impressive that they're able to sustain that kind of pace for a gig of that length and yet remain so tight. Really enjoying this, a lot more than I thought I would! 

Possibly showing my age here, but I still find it weird seeing Billie Joe play anything other than that blue Strat. It is *the* definitive Green Day sound. 

Oh, and as a bassist I am totally in love with Mike Dirnt. Legend. 
  • I enjoyed there set swell, quite a few negative comments on Facebook !
    Can't please everyone ,they must be doing something right . And American idiot is a great concept album !
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
      You really can't beat a Les Paul Junior.

You can, and it just looks better and better!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jimmydjimmyd Frets: 60
    hywelg;20916" said:
    GuitarMonkey said:

You really can't beat a Les Paul Junior.

You can, and it just looks better and better!
    Quoted for truth
  • I thought they sounded okay, but have never been a fan tbh
    The real problem I have with bands like this is that they still still emulate what they were 20 years ago, the look, the sound, etc. Nothing seems to evolve. It's kinda like dads dancing at a wedding - might have some awesome moves, but I still find it a little uncomfortable to watch.

Biffy Clyro last night though... wow.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Its great to see billie sober too.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    edited August 2013

Wow indeed, seen Biffy loads of times and that was their best performance yet, watched it again on catch-up yeterday and the sound was awful, no where near what it sounded like on the night.  A lot of the die hard Biffy fans might be a bit upset at their new 'rock star' styling and sound, but I think they pull it off 100%
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    John_A;21378" said:
    geepers0677 said:

Wow indeed, seen Biffy loads of times and that was their best performance yet, watched it again on catch-up yeterday and the sound was awful, no where near what it sounded like on the night.  A lot of the die hard Biffy fans might be a bit upset at their new 'rock star' styling and sound, but I think they pull it off 100%
    Nope, a non-upset die hard Biffy fan here. Saw with about 20 other people in Liverpool Barfly in the early 00's and haven't missed a tour since. I still reach for the old albums before the new ones but the live show is just spectacular and its amazing to see them get the success and recognition they have now after all the hard graft they've done. Haven't had time to watch the Leeds/Reading sets yet but saw them touring Opposites and it was phenomenal.

I like the way they're functioning as an employment agency for ex-Oceansize members too!
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Yes nice they are giving jobs to old mates  havent been a fan as long as you but first saw them six years ago and have been hooked ever since
  • mike257 said:
    John_A;21378" said:
    geepers0677 said:

Nope, a non-upset die hard Biffy fan here. Saw with about 20 other people in Liverpool Barfly in the early 00's and haven't missed a tour since. I still reach for the old albums before the new ones but the live show is just spectacular and its amazing to see them get the success and recognition they have now after all the hard graft they've done. Haven't had time to watch the Leeds/Reading sets yet but saw them touring Opposites and it was phenomenal.

I like the way they're functioning as an employment agency for ex-Oceansize members too!
     Wow Mike, I was  was one of those 20 as well! Was a massive fan and loved the first 3 LPs but wouldnt dream of seeing them now.
  • RichRich Frets: 18
    Billie-Joe's main sticker-covered Strat type guitar is actually a Fernandes, not a Fender, by the way.

I used to be a mega Biffy fan too, but from Puzzle onwards they've lost what I loved about them. Their gigs these days make me feel like a sad old man. Which I probably am.