Orange rocker terror quality and reliability , anyone know ??

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
i just wondered if the new terrors are decent quality or not , I haven’t seen it mentioned in any mag reviews either !!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    They’re made entirely from Lego and sand 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    This review is pretty good

I'll be honest I can't remember what gets said about the amp ;)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    timmysoft said:
    They’re made entirely from Lego and sand 
    I knew it !!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    Yes, they are decent quality.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734

I would vouch for that.

Orange amps are generally very reliable.
    jpfamps said:

Orange amps are generally very reliable.
    The only known flaw I can think of is that the models with a valve rectifier - the varieties of AD15/30, I can't think of any others - tend to blow rectifier valves if the standby switch is used, because - as with many modern amps with both - it's in the wrong place in the circuit. In my opinion they sound better with it replaced with a plug-in solid-state one, as well as curing this problem without needing to alter the amp.

The Terror series doesn't have a valve rectifier anyway though, so this doesn't arise.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    +1 for IC & JPF's opinion, decent build quality.

• andypandyp Frets: 332
    I know you're asking about the Terror but I've got a Rocker 15 combo and the first one I had popped after a couple of weeks and was replaced within 24hrs by GAK (Brighton to Aberdeenshire) but the replacement has been flawless... so far. I don't know what it was but it died completely while I was playing it and that was that. As it was so new I just had it replaced and I never did find out what it was that went wrong with it.
    andyp said:
    I know you're asking about the Terror but I've got a Rocker 15 combo and the first one I had popped after a couple of weeks and was replaced within 24hrs by GAK (Brighton to Aberdeenshire) but the replacement has been flawless... so far. I don't know what it was but it died completely while I was playing it and that was that. As it was so new I just had it replaced and I never did find out what it was that went wrong with it.
    Almost certainly a faulty power valve taking out the HT fuse - other than the rectifier valve, this is almost the only fault I've seen on modern Orange amps. At least they have an HT fuse, so they don't tend to do any other damage, unlike some other amps I can think of...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2018
    Cheers @ICBM ;

I have to say, getting on for 9-10 months down the line, the Rocker has been awesome. I only play at home for 2hrs a night or so, but it's brilliant. Very solidly built and sounds awesome. GAK were fantastic with the original purchase and the replacement too. I was only actually without the amp and able to play it for about 2hrs as by the time I got home from work the next day I had the new one and the old one was away back to them.
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    andyp said:
    As ICBM says that's almost certainly a valve issue, which can happen in any valve amp.

In my experience, we see much fewer valve failures in Orange amps using EL84s that other brands.

To put this in perspective we installed over 150 EL84's into amps last year.

Orange not only tend to use lower HT than most manufacturers they also use 1k screen grid resistors rather than 100 ohm, which is the "correct" value because VOX used it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4512
    edited August 2018
    @riffpowers - if you haven't spotted it, Reidys have the Brent Hinds for £499 at the mo:
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

edited August 2018
    jpfamps said:

As ICBM says that's almost certainly a valve issue, which can happen in any valve amp.

In my experience, we see much fewer valve failures in Orange amps using EL84s that other brands.

To put this in perspective we installed over 150 EL84's into amps last year.

Orange not only tend to use lower HT than most manufacturers they also use 1k screen grid resistors rather than 100 ohm, which is the "correct" value because VOX used it.
    Cheers. I'm not very clued up on amps. Or most things to be honest... :)

I absolutely love the Rocker 15, the head and cab option wasn't around when I bought mine and the combo is all I will ever need I'm sure, but the Terror and Vertical 2x12 must be superb.

Anyway, to the OP... I'd say get one.