Dilemma!"

What's Hot

Comments

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    Omg I felt like a king getting the car rental and driving through Massachusetts in this amazing weather!! :lol: 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2018

Well this hasn't turned out how I thought it would.

At first I was enamoured meeting my American counterparts, getting into Boston and driving around.

But since I've been here, I've been working 8am-8pm other than last night, when I worked until 11pm.

And it's Saturday and they're wanting me to go in so I wont get to see the place at all.

It's not even my problem I'm trying to fix and I've got the higher-ups on the phone asking me how it's going - we wont get conclusive results while I'm here so there's talk of extending the stay, but I think everybody now knows what needs done, so I'm looking forward to getting back on Sunday. They get paid 3x here what we do in the UK but I wouldn't work here after this short experience. It's cool, I'm here to fix an issue... but on a personal level, it's been shattering and I'm just seeing an office all day. I do wish I'd gone to Huddersfield now...

I've got pals on the West Coast who say it's even worse, as thermionic says. America: good for holiday but there's no place like home. UK is great - Europe in general a lot more laid back and better for living life.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • <snip>

@thomasross20 ;I wish I'd seen this thread before you left...

1: If you drink beer, try the local brew "Harpoon". I liked it a lot. More than Sam Adams, that's for sure. 
    2: If you like to eat fish, search out a chain called "Legal Sea Foods" - there are a few in Boston and one in Framingham. Unless they've nosedived in the past few years it's a decent casual dining experience that isn't easy to find in the UK. 
    3: Don't drive on Route 128 unless you want an earworm. Especially not down by the power line. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494

I do wish I'd gone to Huddersfield now...

It's the first time ever someone has said that. 

A shame it didn't work out like you planned but it sounds like a very interesting experience nonetheless. 

As for USA hours, their work life balance seems well out to European standards.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    Are they about to tape out or something? 

Those kind of hours are the norm when things are going tits up before the fab deadline or similar - in more normal times it’ll only be 8-7 in the office ;)
  • I need to re-evaluate my life...
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    I need to re-evaluate my life...
    why? looking at it from the outside, and despite the horrendous setbacks you've suffered, there's nothing to re-evaluate. You're doing great, if there's a problem, it's with the rest of the world, not you. Tell the world to go fuck itself. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28195
    Claim for the overtime when you get back. Or time off in lieu. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9617
    Working 12 hour days while your US colleagues get paid 3x as much? Yup, that sounds familiar! Find some nice restaurants and/or microbreweries and give the company credit card some stick - that’s how I coped with it!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Dunno who lolled my post (obvs) but I meant it seriously. I can't remember where I read or heard it, but it stuck with me - we teach people how we want to be treated. Teach them that you value your time. Either they don't, in which case you need to be rid of them, or they do, in which case they'll be fine with it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27493

As for USA hours, 
    My experience is that they use quantity to make up for the lack of quality.

;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    Presence time rather than working time. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Thanks guys!
    My boss has ordered me to take Monday off!

@thermionic ...so true!!
  • Heading back now, going to get a massage at the airport :lol:  met up with folk last night and this morning. On the whole it was an experience I'd repeat, if just to break up the routine. And I'm sure it has raised my profile so there we go (but be careful what I wish for with that..). 

Hope Huddersfield was awesome!
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    I'd say your willingness to help the company out in it's time of need gets you plenty of brownie points. Make sure they fully appreciate it/you. Don't forget they have paid for your flights/hotel/extras because they needed to, any success will shine on your record. BUT be careful in the future not to be the one that gets rocketed about the globe an thier whim because someone screwed up and you are the cheap option ;-) Karma says you have repaid thier debt for all that time off, next time it's business and a payrise/bonus/promotion will be a requirement.

Hope you flight was uneventful and you get to rest on your day off.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ESBlonde said:
    Karma says you have repaid thier debt for all that time off, next time it's business and a payrise/bonus/promotion will be a requirement.
    Very much this. They were nice to you (as they should have been), you've been nice to them. This is all as it should be, just make sure the balance stays appropriate.
  • Thanks, guys :) 
    It's definitely put me in the radar a bit more but careful what I wish for as the pressure has ramped up. Also HR were in yesterday and asked me specifically if I'd consider technical management path. Flattering to be asked but I think I'm going to stay purely technical. 
    I wouldn't rule out technical management completely. If the balance is right you'll still be doing proper work  but also acting as a technical reference and lead which can be quite satisfying. 
    edited August 2018
    I need to give an answer by end of week. Sheena always told me "always be an Indian, never be a chief" lol  already I'm getting home late the days but I also see the opportunity there... 
    Staying purely technical makes me more portable if ever I wanted to switch job.

As alleviationa for going over I'm getting restaurant vouchers! So I'm going to take our secretary for a Michelin star meal (she's helped me a lot) :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I took over small-"m" management of my team about 6 months ago, and it's been quite fun. The sales director is the big-"M" manager - so if any disciplinaries are needed and so on. I make sure my team knows what we're all up to, provide a bit of design oversight, the occasional pep-talk, and solve small issues that for some reason they won't deal with directly. I still spend most of my time designing systems and seeing customers.

I would not want to be a paper-pushing manager type - that'd be a waste of what I'm actually good at - but having a hand in helping my cow-orkers develop has actually been quite interesting.

Certainly find out what they mean by technical management (as I'm sure you have) and consider whether it might be fun.

Lady BMcH had an interesting take on it, which I pretty much agree with. If you're offered a position that involves managing a bit more, balance the extra work and effort you'd have to put in against the risks inherent in any of the losers you work with doing it instead.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom