Good tubescreamer settings?

What's Hot
Calum13Calum13 Frets: 37
I started playing guitar about a year ago and got my first guitar last christmas. I bought my first pedal (joyo vintage overdrive) a few months back but last week I saw a Maxon OD9 in a pawn shop window for 60 quid so I just got it with some money I had saved up. You all are experienced so can you recommends some good settings? My guitar is a Squier Jag with single coils and my amp(s) is a Yamaha THR10 and some old Marshall (master reverb 30)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4108
    edited July 2018
    With my amp on the dirty channel I use my maxon od808 with everything just past 12 noon to give my solos a little extra sizzle. Works perfectly.    Same setting but with amp on clean channel gives a mild crunch ideal for rhythm or bluesy lead
  • Calum13Calum13 Frets: 37
    edited July 2018
    With my amp on the dirty channel I use my maxon od808 with everything just past 12 noon to give my solos a little extra sizzle. Works perfectly.    Same setting but with amp on clean channel gives a mild crunch ideal for rhythm or bluesy lead
    Ok, thanks. I can't have my amp too loud. (I still live with my parents I'm 14) If it's too loud should I turn down the master volume on the amp to compensate for the pedal or turn down the level on the pedal to compensate for the amp volume or just turn down the amp volume. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72442
    edited July 2018
    Calum13 said:

Ok, thanks. I can't have my amp too loud. (I still live with my parents I'm 14) If it's too loud should I turn down the master volume on the amp to compensate for the pedal or turn down the level on the pedal to compensate for the amp volume or just turn down the amp volume. 
    Experiment and see what sounds best - there are no hard and fast rules. You might find that slightly reducing the settings of all of them at the same time sounds better than doing it all with one turned down a long way - some volume controls seem to 'strangle' the tone a bit when they get below a certain point.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    The most effective use I've found for them is as a lead boost in front of overdrive pedals. The overdrive is set for rhythm/crunchy sound and the tubescreamer (with drive at about 11 o'clock, level at 2 o'clock and tone somewhere between 2-3 o'clock) can be swicthed up for a bit level, more drive and and midboost for lead stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    Generally set the gain below 12oclock and then push the volume up to taste. Tone shouldn’t need be far away from 12oclock - but also tweak to taste.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I find a tubescreamer is usually best set on a buy it now listing on eBay for a low price to rid yourself of such terribleness :-D
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4647
    As a overdrive/distortion generator the tubescreamer is not all that good, However it can add great colour to existing Pedals/Amps.
    Which is probably the way it is used most often, i.e. a boost with a mid range hump.