Caitlinbread Echorec vs BoonarV2 vs ??? Suggestions/recommendations please.

What's Hot
Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1279
Recently put together a small board based around a Revival Drive and a Flint. Really pleased with how it's sounding but I'm missing having delay available.

Anybody any ideas or recommends. The two mentioned have the sort of vibe I'm after but was wondering what else is out there.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9552
    @Rowby1 - Like you, I'm working on a small pedal board too, based upon the Revival Drive...

I've gone back to the Strymon El Cap. Excels in many areas, and has the subtle reverb built in.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Boonar > everything apart from the real deal and possibly the latest echosex thing that is as big as a fridge

but seriously, the Boonar is amazing
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1378
    I would love to try the boonar but I went into guitarguitar, tried the echorec and knew I liked it before putting down any cash. Can't say the same for the boonar. Also, with all those controls and buttons, put it in a bigger box!
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1279
    @Wazmeister Only thing against the El Cap is its size. I can justify the space taken by the Flint as it’s Rev and Trem but I need to keep size down for a delay. 

@bbill335 I assume you’ve seen the controls on a Revival Drive :)
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    I have had both.

The Boonar is so much better sounding its not true. The Catlinbread is very good (excellent, in fact) but the Boonar blows it out of the water in terms of sound.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

Rowby1 said:

@bbill335 I assume you’ve seen the controls on a Revival Drive :)
    It's nothing on the Chase Bliss stuff. I'm sure they sound good coz people rave about them but... fuck me, spread it out a bit, lads

With the boonar, if I was spending that much on a delay [brand new, stuff that doesn't come up secondhand too often] I'd be going for the DBA Echo Dream. Saying that, the CB echorec has give me a bit of a bug and I'm itching to try a boonar... this thread ain't helping!
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    bbill335 said:

With the boonar, if I was spending that much on a delay [brand new, stuff that doesn't come up secondhand too often] I'd be going for the DBA Echo Dream. Saying that, the CB echorec has give me a bit of a bug and I'm itching to try a boonar... this thread ain't helping!
    I guess it depends on what you want - the Boonar is bang on with the Echorec sounds. The DBA thing goes way beyond that and whilst can sound in the ball park, the Boonar nails those Echorec sounds.

TBH, spending that amount of money on a bloody delay box is a bit daft... but frankly, nothing else has come close for me to the sound I've wanted.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• GassageGassage Frets: 30927
    Booner is a ten. it's TES level. Superb

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited July 2018
    impmann said:
    I have had both.

The Boonar is so much better sounding its not true. The Catlinbread is very good (excellent, in fact) but the Boonar blows it out of the water in terms of sound.
    @impmann -- that's interesting!  I hadn't heard of the Boonar.
    I got the CB Echorec on the strength of loving the Belle Epoch.
    I certainly love the Echorec, it has been on my board since I got it.
    Guess I'm going to have to check out this other one...
    EDIT... Just remembered that it was up against the CB Echorec on TPedal Show --
    I wasn't too impressed with it there.  If you seen that, did they do it justice? 
    @Grunfeld tps were too busy fawning over the binson echorec weren't they? 
    I used to watch that show a lot but there is a lot of bias going on at times

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14446
    I like the Gilmouresque sound of the Caitlinbread Echorec but I would not want to have to memorise the replay head permutations for stage use. 

My observation of this pedal is that it very much prefers to be connected before the amplifier rather than in the send/return loop.

The Boonar warrants checking out.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited July 2018
    I like the Gilmouresque sound of the Caitlinbread Echorec but I would not want to have to memorise the replay head permutations for stage use.
    Oh yes!
    Note judicious use of stickers and the head position cheat sheet on the top left of the board.
    And also yes, it definitely sounds better in front of the amp.
    And it also sounds noticeably better running at 18v.  (The Belle Epoch seems about the same but the Echorec is much better at 18).
    @meltedbuzzbox -- agree 100% on the tps review. 
    meh, the first 5/6 settings are the useful ones, the others are for when you want the weird stuff. imo/ymmv/etc.
    Actually the positioning in the signal chain is an interesting point. I was guessing it probably ought to be in front of the amp and possibly in front of any drives too. Any thoughts/opinions on that one folks? 
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 395
    Also considering a Boonar delay..or Echosystem.. very different i know!!
    Great pedals we have to choose from
    Rowby1 said:
    Actually the positioning in the signal chain is an interesting point. I was guessing it probably ought to be in front of the amp and possibly in front of any drives too. Any thoughts/opinions on that one folks? 
    I use everything into the amp's input, partly because of the kind of amps I use and partly because I could never be arsed with fx loops.

With an always-on OD - how I use the broadcast, for example - it's better to have the echorec afterwards coz I control the amount of clipping from the broadcast with the guitar's volume pot. An OD used as a lead boost, I'd probably stick after the delay to bring up the repeats when the boost is kicked on. Saying that, the echorec gets nice and gritty when you boost the input as well!

I really like it, and I kind of get the impression that the floyd heads it's aimed at turned their noses up at it coz CB wouldn't let Bjorn review it or something? Not gonna pretend to know the full story behind that one. All the love for the boonar isn't doing me any favours though!
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3423
    I had a boonar very briefly and liked it but not enough to keep; I thought it was a hundred quid overpriced. Used would be the way to go.
    I had a boonar very briefly and liked it but not enough to keep; I thought it was a hundred quid overpriced. Used would be the way to go.

I'd agree it's pricey but I don't think you will find one used. 
    I'm chuffed to bits with mine
    Okay, so to summarise, the Boonar most people think is amazing but not everyone. The CB Echorec is very good but most people agree it’s not quite as good as the Boonar. The alternatives are mostly too large a footprint. 

Better get saving my pennies for a Boonar then because I can’t see me picking up a used V2 very easily :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2018
    Can someone explain what the swell/repeats footswitch on the boonar actually does? Like, what's the difference between the two sounds? Is it just buried in one of the overlong, self-indulgent, >10min demos on YT?

Edit: this one seems to be a nice/quick demo of s few different settings