Greta Van Fleet release new track

What's Hot
RabsRabs Frets: 2608
in Music tFB Trader

First track from the album coming soon..

I was wondering if they would stick to the "Led Zep" sound or go another way...  Seems like they are firmly sticking to what they know..   Don't love it, don't hate it..  Right down the middle of the road for me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    Some killer tracks on the first album. Highway tune and black smoke rising in particular.

Now they face that tricky second album thing.

I hope they nail it.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22798
    I like that on its own, although there's a guitar lick which is a direct steal from "In the Evening" and the whole sound is still just too close to Zeppelin (sometimes the singer sounds a bit like Geddy Lee on the first Rush album, when they themselves were rather Zeppelinesque).

But I suspect it'll be like their first album - not bad by any means, but you're constantly distracted by moments of "where did they pinch that bit?".  And they don't have a Jones, they don't have a Bonham, and the songs are not that good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Philly_Q said:
    I like that on its own, although there's a guitar lick which is a direct steal from "In the Evening" and the whole sound is still just too close to Zeppelin (sometimes the singer sounds a bit like Geddy Lee on the first Rush album, when they themselves were rather Zeppelinesque).

But I suspect it'll be like their first album - not bad by any means, but you're constantly distracted by moments of "where did they pinch that bit?".  And they don't have a Jones, they don't have a Bonham, and the songs are not that good.
    Sadly I have to agree.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4999
    There are 30 odd bands in Sweden who do this sort of thing as well, if not better. 
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    edited August 2018
    I struggled to listen to those Zeppelin-esque Rush albums, so I was really hoping Greta Van Fleet would take a different turn thereafter...Shame. Rush in Rio is jaw dropping and so much so that I need a cigarette after all three discs, even as an asthmatic non-smoker.

Jessie J has a cracking voice for Rock and played about with some Steve Tyler-esque squawks live (on the Brits or something), but then just retreated into generic Pop.

It's nice to see that there's the potential out there, but it's just frustrating that they don't use it to create something new.
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    It's interesting because I love Led Zeppelin, RUSH etc. I do "like" GVF a lot but I don't find myself sticking that first album on over and over again. Few good songs I really like (Highway Tune etc) but some I don't really understand either. 

Nothing wrong with wearing your influences on your sleeve, though it's seemingly a bit of a contentious topic depending on who your influences are... 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4920
    They might be one of those bands who are good live but not on album; I didn't much like the linked track in the OP, but then again I sometimes really don't like something on first listen and then go back and end up thinking it's great.
  • Led Zeppelin themselves are not exactly in a position to be peeved at people stealing their ideas and using them as their own area they ;)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    edited August 2018
    I liked the first album, but it doesn't move me, as a great album from a great rock band would. It's a pleasant bunch of musics with very clear influences and that's it.

What annoys me about these guys is their refusal to mention some of those direct influences that are so noticeable. When asked about it, they always prefer to mention some really obscure, old musical influences.

Come on guys the 70s are done, the music is good, but I expected the second album to be a slight departure from the initial material.
    brooom said:
    What annoys me about these guys is their refusal to mention some of those direct influences that are so noticeable. When asked about it, they always prefer to mention some really obscure, old musical influences.

I wondered about that.  I haven't read any interviews but it was either going to be a case of "oh yeah we've been playing Zeppelin covers for years" or "we don't know what people are talking about, we only listen to Motown, Blind Lemon Jefferson and the Beatles".

I've mentioned it before, but when the first Kingdom Come album came out Lenny Wolf claimed never to have heard of Led Zeppelin...
    edited August 2018
    Led Zeppelin themselves are not exactly in a position to be peeved at people stealing their ideas and using them as their own area they
    I thought the clip of Planty saying they'd stolen his style was somewhat ironic.

• RabsRabs Frets: 2608
    tFB Trader
    prowla said:
    They might be one of those bands who are good live but not on album; I didn't much like the linked track in the OP, but then again I sometimes really don't like something on first listen and then go back and end up thinking it's great.

There is a live version too :)

Rabs said:

There is a live version too :)

Led Zeppelin as played by the Fellowship of the Ring...
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2018 tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    Rabs said:

There is a live version too

Led Zeppelin as played by the Fellowship of the Ring...
    Lol ..... From that vid they should be called Greta Van Vest Top..  
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    I think they're great live, but that's the thing, they'r kids, do they really want to wear vests and leather pants? Can't they just do the music they want to do, wear jeans and t-shirts like normal people and tell people... "yep we love Zeppelin". They're really chasing all the cliches.
    In other news: Yngwie Malmsteen: I don´t owe anything to Ritchie Blackmore!

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Great band. I have no interest in people moaning about the Led Zep connection. If they can't just enjoy a kick ass live band then its their loss.

1) Led Zep haven't produced anything worth listening to since 1976. That is actually quite a long time ago
    2) Led Zep stole shedloads from others that weren't ever credited.
    3) How original can any band be after decades of Rock music now.
    4) It's my ball and I'm taking it home if I can't make up the rules.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    How come there's not a whole lotta love for these guys?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • Lots of fair criticism, but having just discovered these guys recently I'm still pretty impressed. They still sound "fresh" to me, even though they are essentially an homage.

But maybe I just don't get out enough to be aware of the all other bands that sound close to Led Zep but are just missing the streak of genius?

There don't seem to be many rock bands these days that have any appeal so I think these guys seem pretty promising.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Lots of fair criticism, but having just discovered these guys recently I'm still pretty impressed. They still sound "fresh" to me, even though they are essentially an homage.

But maybe I just don't get out enough to be aware of the all other bands that sound close to Led Zep but are just missing the streak of genius?

There don't seem to be many rock bands these days that have any appeal so I think these guys seem pretty promising.
    The fact they have already got to TV chat show spot status is pretty impressive....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom