Who rocks a 4x12 cab?

What's Hot
CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
I have a real itch to get a 4x12.

No need for one really but would just be fun. Anyone else have a 4x12 just because? What you using?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10692
    edited August 2018
    Absolutely! Carvin Legacy - 2 heads, 2 cabs. Though it’s been some time since I used them both together in anger. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    I did for years and still do occasionally. Nothing sounds like one, and they're easier to gig with than a powerful combo if they have good casters. 

If I had a van I'd use mine all the time tbh. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited August 2018
    I used to use a Marshall 1960A -- incredible sound.
    Had to go down to a 2x12 because of the need to carry more gear to gigs.

Chris, I still have the cab.  PM me if you're interested.  It's in great nick, good casters, tough cover, I don't live far (Dagenham), and I'll do a great price.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    If the boot on my scirocco was big enough, I’d still be using one. 

My favourites are:
    Mesa Recto
    Marshall JCM900 Lead
    Framus Dragon
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    I have a 1960ax that I use with a JTM45 head, the greenbacks are superb.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    Yep, i've tried going back to a 1x12 combo and it just aint happening. 
    The 4x12 has such a huge sound that i don't need to be that loud to be heard, when i used a 1x12 combo i struggled to hear it at times without winding the volume up at which point it was too much. 
    The big cab is a lot easier i find.
    Makes me laugh when i roll it into a venue and you can see them thinking 'too loud!'. When in reality i dont need to turn it up too much to be heard and it gives a nice broad spread of frequencies. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    I use a H&K 4x12 for the rock band. It sounds great and just looks the part. Heavy as hell tho.........
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited August 2018
    Sometimes. I have an EVH cab filled with Mesa V30s. It sounds chunky. But I mostly use a pair of Mesa 2x12s because they sound tighter.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    I probably would if I could keep my cab downstairs, they're easy to move on casters but lugging it downstairs with child gates either end doesn't really appeal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    I progressive rock mine.
    Sometimes I jazz it too.
  • never owned one but we used a rehearsal room last month that had one with a blackstar head. It sounded great. really tempted to get one but my band doesnt need it, i dont need it, and the places we play definately dont need it.
  • I currently use an Orange PPC412. Big ass fucker to carry but until recently we have a band van and a lot of bodies to carry stuff. The heavier weight of the wood means the amp resonates better and I just like V30 speakers. Before I owned a Marshall 1960 4 x 12 but it wasn't going well with my 6505+ head. I even swapped out two stock G12T-75's for 2 Marshall V30's but its the construction of the cab that lacked.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4999
    Marshall 1960 tv. Greenbacks of some sort and the only time I've gigged a smaller cab in living memory was not great
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3047
    edited August 2018
    I'm using a Framus Cobra 4x12 with V30s and K100s.

I've got a smaller 2x12 with V30s but doesn't getting used much now
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    I use 3 x 4x12s.
    I only play at home, but they’re really good for that as their handles are at just the right height to wheel them around the house without doing my back in.

I even rock the 4x12.com domain :)
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    @Gadget you use Cornford 4x12’s don’t you? Have you compared them to any other brands of 4x12 or are you just happy with them?
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    CHrisP86 said:
    @Gadget you use Cornford 4x12’s don’t you? Have you compared them to any other brands of 4x12 or are you just happy with them?
    Yes, all Cornford now. I've had lots of Marshall 1960s over the years too. The Cornfords sound great, especially with cornfords and my BE-100, but I never had a problem with the Marshalls. They sounded great too as I recall, especially with V30s or Greenbacks. I never got the chance to directly a/b them though.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • Rocking two 4x12’s right now :) 

https://imgur.com/a/MTluFOK

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tat2dsteshTat2dstesh Frets: 193
    Got a hk 4x12 which I use all the time as it sits at the practice room and a 2x12 in the house which never gets used for studio or live.. funny how my 2x12 was my main touring cab when I didn't have a ford galaxy 
  • A1978 Hiwatt 4x12 that used to belong to GOD.
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life