Gyrator circuit

What's Hot
fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4115
I sent my Marshall back for inspection to check whether it was normal noisy or broken noisy (just a bit too hissy when at gig volume with 3/4 gain) and their engineers tested it advising it was normal noisy,  it was the gyrator circuit that causes the noise. 

Question 1: wtf is this and what does it do?

Question 2: is there any common solution a decent amp tech cld do to improve these kind of issues (e.g. replace a certain cap/filter etc)?

Question 3: what is the average wing velocity of a swallow? 

I appreciate this is a bit vague but I was interested in a generic response rather than an amp specific debate. 

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1638

A  gyrator is an active circuit that inverts the function of a component. Most often seen to mimic an inductor with a capacitor, especially in "graphic" EQ circuits.

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4115
    ecc83 said:

A  gyrator is an active circuit that inverts the function of a component. Most often seen to mimic an inductor with a capacitor, especially in "graphic" EQ circuits.

Dave

Are these commonly noisy then? 

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1638
    ecc83 said:

Dave

Are these commonly noisy then? 

No not likely any noisier than the op amp it is built around and for say an NE5532 or TL072 that will be very low, certainly not a problem in the gitamp world! (IIRC there is one in the B'star EQ stack)

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3050

Is that an African or European swallow?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4115

Is that an African or European swallow?
    Well I don't know.   Arrgghhggg
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    Dave’s description is bang on the money, gyrators are generally used by manufacturers to emulate costly inductors  in filter circuits, or in our world the EQ or tone stack. Would be interested to to know which Marshall you have?
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734

As ever, IT'S REALLY USEFUL TO KNOW THE MODEL OF THE AMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Noise can be a problem in gyrator circuits as they use an active device.

BOSS graphic eq pedals are particularly noisy as the opamp used in GE7 for example, TL022, was chosen, I assume, for low current draw to prolong battery life.

The noise performance of the TL022 is abysmal, about 9 db worse than a TL072, which is hardly the last word in low noise op-amps.

It could be that the active device in the gyrator circuit is defective, or simply that it was not designed for low noise performance.

Noise performance could improved by using a lower noise op-amp such as the OPA2134; however this is an expensive part, and MUST be purchased from a reputable source to make sure you get a genuine part. There are many fakes out there.