What do you guys think of this? My boss told me...

What's Hot
robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3529
edited August 2018 in Off Topic
on Friday when the subject of annual pay rises cropped up that working hard and using your initiative goes unnoticed by the company, only the people who work long over time hours get noticed and their pay rise will reflect that, the people like myself who dont work long hours will probably get a pay rise not worth mentioning even though ive been working my arse of.

So , basically , men with family's and kids who cannot work long hours will get very little and the guys with no responsibility's get a decent rise, somehow that doesnt seem right to me, especially after working my arse off for a year in the hope that this job might get me somewhere. Needless to say I am looking for other work. Thoughts?
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Isn't it part of his job to ensure that people who work hard *do* get noticed, and do get rewarded? That is the line I would be taking..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12413
    In my experience if your face fits you are pretty much bullet proof if not you will never get anywhere. Luckily my face has always seemed to fit. I do not ever work unnecessary hours of overtime but if something needs doing I do it. That might mean working from home of an evening or stupidly early starts for meetings sometimes  not very often though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9670
    This is why collective bargaining is such a good idea. Join a union.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3529
    We dont have a union, we dont even have a HR person, the HR person was a manager who retired and appointed themselves HR person, they work from home, part time, and have an EMail address if you need to contact them.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2252
    He's talking bollocks and he knows he is. Yes probably telling the ones who work long hours that that don't work hard enough or use their initiative. Hes not giving out pay rises.

We get an annual pay rise, everybodys is different though and for some reason people dont like to talk about it, but yeah, my first reaction was bullshit and he is looking for an excuse but he isnt the one who controls the pay rises anyway so he has no control over what anybody gets.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @robgilmo What do you do and what is the company profile (business, no of staff, number of locations). Is the company doing well? There are better way of measuring performance and rewarding it than what you've been told. 
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2592
    tFB Trader
    Sounds like your boss has lost any sort of influence over who gets payrises and just does not actually care. if he thought you were a valued staff member he could put in a recommendation for you.

Best way to ask for a payrise is to evidence why you deserve a payrise, i.e. targets met, quality of outcomes/work, time keeping, reflective practice etc then send it to a manager that actually still cares.

Keep in mind that you may think you are great, but others around you may not see you in the same light
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7811
    Long hours does not always mean hard working. It can mean ineffective and slow for example.

front up and ask what tasks / work do the others achieve in longer hours that you do not. Why are they worth more than what you do.  
    edited August 2018
    I work in stores, I was a fitter but applied for the stores position around this time last year. I make sure the fitters get the parts they need from production mostly dealing with shortages and following up missing parts within the production process. One location, quire rural, around 200 staff manufacturing world leading agricultural machinery in an international market. The company cant get the machines out the door quickly enough, constantly expanding to the point where we struggle to keep up with demand. I really do like my job, its a constant challenge and keeps me very busy but I do tend to take on more than my job description entails.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24843
    I’ve always taken the view that it’s the work you put into the hours - not the hours you put into the work....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    That's how I always seen things, my job doesnt need me to work long hours, I get my work done in the time I am there and then some so I decided that I would use my initiative and go out of my way with aspects of the job that most others wouldn't bother doing, I enjoy a challenge and if I see a problem I work it instead of turning a blind eye to it, I guess I should have just worked long hours and not bothered.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited August 2018
    I find this hard to identify with, as I'm stuck locked to teacher's pay scales, which have shown less movement than my ex wife in bed over recent years. However, when I worked in the private sector I always made sure I documented what I did day to day, and went into reviews armed with a list of achievements and met objectives. At the same time, I made sure at objective setting, there was an "if I meet or exceed all of these, they should be recognised at review" bit. 

It's funny how the story often changes from how well you've done to how much better you could have done when money comes into it. When you've got supporting documentation it's hard for them to do that. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 992
    Makes little difference around here.

Less than  1% for the last decade or so, and I find I'm now fulfilling three distinct roles to boot (can't recruit/retain when industry and other Govt depts pay 50% or more above).

The top 5% "may" get something like 1.5%.  "Top" usually refers to how good a writer your boss is, not to what you've done (mine's barely literate).

All way less than inflation, regardless.

But if I choose to follow the cash, who will be left to...

When will I get my OBE again?

The price of integrity and a sense of duty I guess.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14532
    robgilmo said:
    my arse.
    In many lines of employment, this may be the key to career advancement.

Bend over. Gobble. Laugh at feeble jokes of senior management. Lose to them at Golf.

robgilmo said:
    somehow that doesn't seem right to me, especially after working my arse off for a year in the hope that this job might get me somewhere. Needless to say, I am looking for other work. Thoughts?
    My brother used to be a civil servant. He fell into a similar trap to you. Hoping to make a good impression, my brother got stuck in to the difficult/cold caseload that nobody else wanted to tackle. Rather than reward my brother's efforts, his supervisor assumed that my brother enjoyed that type of work and left him to it. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Im im a similar boat. Blatant discrimination between full and part timers, but with no union and a Hr that fully backs any store manager regardless, its again a matter of whos the managers favourites. 

I’m hoping when I reach my anniversary of 10 years I’ll find something better. 

When I do I’ll have no qualms writing about it here!  
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • KDSKDS Frets: 221
    Most effective way to get pay rise and/or promotion is to get a new role. At least it is in my sector
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31636
    robgilmo said:
    on Friday when the subject of annual pay rises cropped up that working hard and using your initiative goes unnoticed by the company, only the people who work long over time hours get noticed and their pay rise will reflect that, the people like myself who dont work long hours will probably get a pay rise not worth mentioning even though ive been working my arse of.

So , basically , men with family's and kids who cannot work long hours will get very little and the guys with no responsibility's get a decent rise, somehow that doesnt seem right to me, especially after working my arse off for a year in the hope that this job might get me somewhere. Needless to say I am looking for other work. Thoughts?

I totally agree with you - we work in teams of two, I'm done three hours earlier than the other guy who's spinning it out because he wants the overtime and hates his wife.
    All our colleagues know that's the case, but he's the blue-eyed boy as far as the manager is concerned because he's always in the building, but if he followed him around for the day he be appalled at the value for money he's not getting. 

That's life I'm afraid, though if he wants to amble around turning a fairly responsible and interesting job into a lengthy, tedious week while I'm playing in the garden with the grandkids I'm ok with that. 

Look back at it as time you spent with your kids, instead of wasting it in the office with lead-swingers. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2910
    Likewise in my old job l didn't really get any recognition for always getting the work done quickly, often ahead of time and to a high standard. All the producers loved working with me (or at least they said they did) as they knew they wouldn't be hanging around all day for their edits and we could all leave a bit early if everything was done and sent. When a more senior position came up I didn't even get offered an interview whereas the slackers at least made it to 2nd interviews. That's when I knew it was time to move on.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28572
    robgilmo said:
    Needless to say I am looking for other work. Thoughts?
    I think that's what your boss told you to do. He might not have meant to, but he did. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom