New Aphex Twin tracks

What's Hot
earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3495
edited April 2020 in Music
Probably not in line with the majority of stuff posted here but if it's of any interest to any fans of his music lurking in this forum Aphex Twin has a new track out which seems pretty nice.  

The video has a warning for containing strobing and it's a jarring viewing experience to the say the least! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I wouldn't call it nice .. I'm a fan and I have a number of earlier ambient CDs and Syro. This smacks of trying too hard to my ears. I don't dislike it but I'm not sure its worth listening to more than once. And I do listen to some weird stuff.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    I was a big fan back in the day. Since Drukqs, I can't help but feel that he's been running on the spot, so to speak.
     I enjoyed the video/music combo, but I remember a time when each new release would blow my mind and that hasn't happened for a very long time.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    I actually like the song.

Video is very Minecafty.
  • Interesting documentary on Aphex Twin, here is the audio from youtube, so you don't have to sign into BBC iplayer to hear it.

If you can read this then my time machine works.

My feedback thread is here.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57602/

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6061
    Sounds like he's stuck in a digital rut of overly frenetic beats.

Interesting documentary on Aphex Twin, here is the audio from youtube, so you don't have to sign into BBC iplayer to hear it.

I still have one of those paper masks. They were given away at the infamous Clink Prison gig.
    I said maybe.....
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22132
    I was a big fan back in the day. Since Drukqs, I can't help but feel that he's been running on the spot, so to speak.
     I enjoyed the video/music combo, but I remember a time when each new release would blow my mind and that hasn't happened for a very long time.
    This. 

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7287
    My favourite stuff was the selected ambient works collections rather than the really abrasive stuff but will totally give this a listen later.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Always loved Aphex Twin, still do. I think this is bloody great.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309

I like it. I particularly like the video.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3495
    edited August 2018
    This. 
    Of course the post Drukqs period does not have any moments to equal the highs of Windowlicker or Come to Daddy (a shame Chris Cunningham seems to have gone AWOL) but there are some exceptional moments here and there. 

Which isn't to say there aren't any forgettable moments but that has always been the situation with AFX (the Smojface EP in particular!) I like others consider the Analord series to have some exceptional moments as does the Tuss but the soundcloud series had some truly wonderful pieces, but they were very easy to miss considering the nature of how they were released and the track below IMO is something that wouldn't go amiss from the SAW LP's. 

With the exception of the SAW LPs, I think the albums have always been inconsistent. That's not to say that there's not some great stuff on them, but I found that the EPs tended to be better, pound for pound. A good example is I Care Because You Do vs the Donkey Rhubarb EP. Of course, it doesn't help that RDJ is, at best, somewhat obtuse. The Hangable Auto Bulb EPs contained, IMHO, some of his best work, but until it was released on CD in 2005, it was only available on limited 12" (3000 for pt1 and just 500 for pt2!). It was always hard work being an Aphex fan!

I've always loved music that messes with my head, but over the past twenty years or so, I have found that I need music to mess with my heart at least as much. This is where I tend to find the Afx stuff lacking, with some notable exceptions, and why I fell head over heels for Boards Of Canada.

I think my best Aphex memories are of the gigs. The first one I went to was the infamous Clink Prison Halloween concert, which I think was the first public outing of Come To Daddy. Or the Cambridge Junction show where the first piece sounded like the Soviet assault on Berlin and people were leaving in tears! After getting rid of around 25% of the audience, he played some beautiful ambient stuff. Like I said, he knows how to be a git.
    I said maybe.....
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3495
    He's posted some new tracks if it's of any interest to anyone

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom