How can I achieve this (TV query) ?

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
I am trying to create a picture of an Electronic Programme Guide screen that has been modified to show where the adverts appear.  I am trying to illustrate in graphical form how frequent adverts are and visualise any patterns of ad slot synchronisation between channels.

Your average EPG screen (e.g. YouView) shows about 8 channels on the y axis and about 2h on the x axis.  If I could record 8 channels simultaneously for 2h then I could FFWD through the playback of each channel and mark where the ads are, then edit the EPG screenshot in a graphics app.

The trouble is, I can't record 8 channels simultaneously.  I also would be highly unlikely to get 8 channels on the EPG that were able to be played-back via online streaming catch-up services such as iPlayer etc.

Short of asking 7 other people to record a specific channel, then replay it and give me the ad time data, I can't think of how to achieve this.

Any ideas ?

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27474
    Emp thread.

Off to BCD ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Seymour1Seymour1 Frets: 85

@Emp_Fab Why are you trying to do this? The timing & duration is dependent on both channel and time of day. The Ofcom Code (via PDF link from URL below)  gives details of this.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/tv-radio-and-on-demand/broadcast-codes/code-tv-advertising

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
    @Seymour1 For my own curiosity.  Thanks for that link, it's got some interesting information in it.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    I'm pretty sure there is ad slot synchronisation. It's now very common to switch channels when they come on only to end up in the middle of another set, on several different channels. I find it hard to believe that's a coincidence even when up to 25% of the programme time is ads, which it seems to be on some channels.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom