Going to sell a guitar (LTD H1001), what should I do?

What's Hot
My LTD has a Duncan Jazz at the neck and a Custom 5 in the bridge, and is currently amateur wired (by me) to have a 3 way blade, olume, tone and a pull on the tone for coil split (which is wired back to front, so out is bucker, in is tapped... Woops!).

However, my humbuggy needs will be met by my GSPBASSES build.  So it'll probably go, and it'll probably fund another GSPBASSES build (lol).  I would want about £200 give or take for the condition it's in now, assuming I rewire it better (tone pot it a bit busted).  

Would I get significantly more if I took it to a tech to be set up for 9s in standard (currently 11-54 in drop C) and have the frets dressed?  Quite a few are pretty flat now (it's been played every day for the last 8 years).  

I want it to be enjoyed by someone as much as I have loved it, it's a great sounding guitar but I won't play it much and it'll take up space...

Yup, it's fecking ugly :P
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Have you googled to see what the going rate is for one second hand?
    Might be that if it is in reasonable shape now and as is you'd get a good price.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited April 2014
     A guitar advertised As Is by a  forum regular would not put me off in any way. In fact it is probably more attractive.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Does it's value warrant the service work? I think most here are happy to see a well played guitar. Now what kind of low-ball offer/disparaging remarks can I make as I actually quite like it? Oops, thinking out loud again!
  • Richardj said:
    Does it's value warrant the service work? I think most here are happy to see a well played guitar. Now what kind of low-ball offer/disparaging remarks can I make as I actually quite like it? Oops, thinking out loud again!
    Haha feel free! I don't know what it's worth, they don't come up often, but I'll have a look.  

I'm not placing the advert until it's finished, but if I got a great offer now, I'd probably take it and buy another build from GSPBASSES.  Yum.  
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited April 2014
    Ooo, they go for between £300 and £400 quid.  My colour is rarer, though, as it's a continuation of the sunburst from the H1000 guitar (which was discontinued - now you get the duncan model in blue or purple).  That means it's probably worth upwards of £2500.  Right? ;)

The electronics definitely need looking at.  I still play it every day, but I wouldn't be happy passing it on in this state.  I had to extend a wire from a pickup by soldering another on and insulating it, and the push/pull is wired the wrong way around, and the mechanism is a bit buggered - turn too hard, and it'll cut out.  Alpha pots... 

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Just Googled it myself, yup, easy £300+. I guess if a fret dress and set up for 9 or 10s was only £50 or so (I honestly have no idea) it would probably increase it's kerb appeal. Having the Duncans is a big plus. Damn!
    That's a nice surprise for you.

As the person who advised a google search I hereby claim my 10% commission on the sale price. ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Awesome. :) I shall be popping it in the classifieds when the beast is finished.

If anyone would like dibs for first considerations, pm me. This isn't an advert though, so you won't be guaranteed a guitar.

I think I'll leave the frets and set up for the buyer. They can have it done to their tastes, and get the frets done at the same time, rather than having frets done, then a second set up on arrival.

I'll likely redo the electronics, though, I'd feel a bit weird passing it on as is, knowing it has a minor fault.

Anyway, I'm off to play the sucker :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

I'll likely redo the electronics, though, I'd feel a bit weird passing it on as is, knowing it has a minor fault.

Good on you mate. 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    ThePrettyDamned said: 

And then decide to keep it........
    ;)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• mike_l said:
    ThePrettyDamned said: 

And then decide to keep it........
    ;)
    Haha it is a great guitar, but I don't have room for too many and I'll have a two humbucker guitar when my project has finished, and the trem will be set against the body for drop pitch only, so I can detune to my hearts content.  

So sadly (and I really do mean that) it will have to go to make way for my next project - hopefully another Telecaster.  :)
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    That looks nice, had a lovely Washburn in that shape a few years back, it's another I was gutted I had to sell.
  • Got a carved neck heel, too, you know ;)

Proper riff machine.  Tone pros locking bridge and earvana nut, an all.  And locking tuners.  

I mean, it is seriously a great guitar, I just don't see myself needing it.  :(