Charlie ‘Bird’ Parker

HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
This morning I'm sorting music for my Mum's wake. Mum was into jazz in a big way and I’ve been going through her albums to find some background music for the do. 

Can’t say I’ve ever particularly liked jazz myself although, to be fair, I probably haven’t given it a proper hearing. 

Anyway...

Charlie Parker - Wow! Superb!

https://youtu.be/yoaC2S8Pasc

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14234
    tFB Trader
    my dad is a sax player - brought up in the jazz era, by his dad who also played sax - He is  a big fan of the Bird  - but points out on a good day he was awesome but on other days very bad

I can take it or leave - like some tracks but not all
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Sorry to hear of your sad news.

I think jazz is often presented as difficult when a lot of it is quite chirpy little tunes and even danceable. I guess when we think about Bird it's not so much the jolly stuff but I'll have to give it a listen. I seem to be a bit fed up of my own listening choices at present so it might be good to stretch myself. I have seen quite a few jazz acts over the years of one sort or another and find them fascinating, just don't tend to translate to the recorded medium for me.  

For my dad we had some debate over the music ( in retrospect Rolf Harris was a poor choice ). My mother is nearly 91 and I'm beginning to suspect she'll outlast me so I'll never get to choose a favourite Perry Como track. I have explained to my kids about The Clash and Howling Wolf for me although as I won't be there it'll probably be some dubstep or grime if it's up to them. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    ... surprisingly of the toe tapping and quite jolly end of jazz. Nice. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.