What nut file set for 0.009?

What's Hot
I always use 9's on electric guitars, what would be a good set of nut files to get? I'd prefer something int e the Euro zone rather than USA.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    A set that starts at 10 will also work well for 9’s.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7031
    tFB Trader
    I usually use an X-Acto saw with the appropriate kerf for 8-12 thou slots
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
    https://www.allparts.uk.com/products/nut-slotting-file-set-8-pcs-010-056-inch

Not cheap I know, but decent nut files aren't. I admit to making do for many years with a few basic sizes and a selection of modified needle files and hammered-down junior hacksaw blades, but it wasn't ideal. The right tools just make life easier as well as probably do the job better.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:

Not cheap I know, but decent nut files aren't. I admit to making do for many years with a few basic sizes and a selection of modified needle files and hammered-down junior hacksaw blades, but it wasn't ideal. The right tools just make life easier as well as probably do the job better.
    That’s the set I am currently using.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7786

I've got an old set of Allparts nut files and a set of StewMac (mostly for bass).

The .010 rarely gets used anymore (partly because it's bent in all directions due to its thinness and the occasional sticky bone nut) I use the .013 for anything up to .013 (sometimes the StewMac .012 if I remember) but again due to sticky nuts it's about 1 1/2" long now ;)

There aren't any sets that do all gauges of strings so there's usually at least one slot that you have to make slightly oversize, and after a number of years compromising I've come to the conclusion that as long as you're not going completely mad, a little oversize doesn't matter. If you assume you're making a U shaped channel then the string is going to lie at the bottom of that and be held there by tension, so nothing to worry about.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7031
    edited August 2018 tFB Trader
    Rather than make a slot oversize (yes a couple of thou too big is neither here nor there), I use a smaller than required file and rock it from side to side to make the slot as wide as I need.
    edited August 2018
    Paul_C said:

There aren't any sets that do all gauges of strings so there's usually at least one slot that you have to make slightly oversize, and after a number of years compromising I've come to the conclusion that as long as you're not going completely mad, a little oversize doesn't matter. If you assume you're making a U shaped channel then the string is going to lie at the bottom of that and be held there by tension, so nothing to worry about. 
    Exactly that. In fact, I think anything up to about 50% oversize is actually better than the 'right' size - it minimises friction by making sure the contact is only along a line at the bottom of the slot. The *exact* 'right' size would actually be wrong, since it would tend to grip the string.

As long as the slot is truly smooth and rounded at the bottom, even more than 50% larger should be OK - a couple of times I've widened slots drastically for a baritone conversion with up to a .075" low B string, and been able to go back to a standard set of 10s without replacing the nut.

Rather than make a slot oversize (yes a couple of thou too big is neither here nor there), I use a smaller than required file and rock it from side to side to make the slot as wide as I need.
    I used to do that with my hammered hacksaw blades and needle files, but now I have actually got a full set of proper nut files I find it easier to go oversize instead.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    WezV said:
    ICBM said:

That’s the set I am currently using.
    Me too, but they've gone up by 50+% since I bought them.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    ICBM said:

I can't stretch to £150! There must be something cheaper out there??
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7786
    axisus said:
    ICBM said:

How about a tenner ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/3pcs-Double-Sided-Guitar-Nut-Slotting-Saddle-Files-Luthier-Tool-6-Sizes-Edges/19013319427

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    axisus said:
    ICBM said:

There is, I linked to th G&W double sided ones in your other thread.  Based in Portugal so meets the requirements in your OP.  

WezV said:
    Ah yes, thanks.

I found these though, which I prefer the look of  - any opinions?

https://crimsonguitars.com/store/nut-slotting-file-sets/

the light set goes from 9-42, which is the string size that I use.

They should work well, but as most of the comments in this thread state.... slightly bigger is no bad thing, it reduces the chance of binding quite a lot

the smaller files will be very flimsy, takes some time to get used to them.  I think the double sided ones may be a bit more intuitive for a beginner as they are much stiffer
    Paul_C said:
    axisus said:
    ICBM said:

How about a tenner ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/3pcs-Double-Sided-Guitar-Nut-Slotting-Saddle-Files-Luthier-Tool-6-Sizes-Edges/19013319427

I got a diamond crowning file from China recently just out of curiosity.  It came in a nice box.  It looks good from a distance.  It’s never going to touch a fret
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    If you use 9s then I would get the 10-46 set, unless the dimensions are not the actual file widths but what strings they’re suitable for, and are actually slightly larger. 

You really don’t want the strings to fit the grooves tightly, it causes tuning problems. OK, you can also rock the files to widen the grooves, but it’s easier not to.

• grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1343
    Interested in doing some of this work myself - looking at the Crimson files would it be OK to go for the heavy set if setting up for 10 - 46 strings?

Apologies for butting in..

Si
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    WezV said:
    A set that starts at 10 will also work well for 9’s.
    Yup.
  • I use Ibanez prestige 10-46 made in Japan.

Part no. 4449EG61

Thomann used to stock them but only do different gauges these days from what I can see.
    WezV said:
    The shape of them doesn't look ideal?? Would you not end up with a 'V' shaped cut rather than a 'U' shape?