Good multi-fx ‘s that aren’t mega expensive

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
I currently have an ME50 augmented by half a dozen pedals.  I like the convenience of a multi-fx for gigging as it’s usually just one preset selection and I’m away, instead of playing Michael Flatley every change.

I have an urge for another unit, but I don’t know which.  I don’t mind spending a few hundred but I’m not going to go mental and blow wads on the latest bleeding edge kit.

What’s out there that is better than the ME50 but doesn’t cost the same as a valve amp?
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33796
    HX Effects.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9532
    edited August 2018
    HX Effects x 2
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Or the cheaper Line 6 m9. 
    Used you can grab one for 150
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    HX Effects x 2
    Surely that’d cost twice as much as just having one HX unit? :)
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You could have four Zoom G3's for the price of an HX Effects
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • ArtsutanovArtsutanov Frets: 61
    edited August 2018
    Would an older rackmount multi effects unit like the TC Electronic GForce be of interest? About £350 2nd hand.
    https://www.tcelectronic.com/Categories/Tcelectronic/Guitar/Effects-Processors/G-FORCE/p/P0CKV
  • TC Nova system? You can pick one up for around £150 second hand. The effects are great and you get analogue drives as well. 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    Emp_Fab said:
    I currently have an ME50 augmented by half a dozen pedals.  I like the convenience of a multi-fx for gigging as it’s usually just one preset selection and I’m away, instead of playing Michael Flatley every change.

I have an urge for another unit, but I don’t know which.  I don’t mind spending a few hundred but I’m not going to go mental and blow wads on the latest bleeding edge kit.

What’s out there that is better than the ME50 but doesn’t cost the same as a valve amp?
    Do you want just fx or amp modelling too?
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Probably one of the Line 6 M series units.  
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
    @Voxman Just the FX...

I suppose I ought to at least try out the multitude of effects programs I've got on my iPad too !
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I guess the Boss M3 would be one to think about if incorporating other pedals with it. Just effects plus loops for your other pedals. 

At £360 the leap up to Helix FX wouldn’t be huge though. £280 for a used Boss off eBay (or £409 for a new one off eBay - who uses eBay but can’t be arsed to google for a better price elsewhere?).
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
    Just get the hx. Over the last 7 or 8 years I've tried a bundle of other multis the most expensive being the fractal fx8 and the line 6 hx was easily the best in terms of usability and giggability.   To be fair I still usually use pedals but once I'm happy with the patches I've got then I'll use the  Hx more live. 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Second hand Line 6 M9 or M13.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7287
    Im still using a boss GT-10, the amp sims are a bit gash (but why would  I use them!!) but the FX do the job nicely.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Line 6 M13, they can pop up for silly money on ebay
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited August 2018
    If you've got a decent OD/distortion pedal(s) then an old second hand multi fx with an Fx loop could be a lost cost solution, with the OD/distortion in the Fx loop.

In my experience, it's the OD/distortion sounds that let down most multi Fx units

I'm using a Helix LT now, but my backup set up is a Boss GT-6 with a Maxon OD9 and an Angry Charlie in the effects loop which I used for years. I recently checked all was well with my backup set up and I think I prefer the sound of the Maxon OD9 and Angry Charlie to the drives in the Helix LT, to the point where I'm considering putting them in the loop of the Helix.

It's not a competition.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
    I’m seriously looking at the M13 now.  I’d love a Helix but that can wait until the band has proved its earning potential.
    Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys.
  • Emp_Fab said:
    I’m seriously looking at the M13 now.  I’d love a Helix but that can wait until the band has proved its earning potential.
    Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys.

There's not a big difference in price between the M13 and the Helix Hx, at least not at Andertons. I just wondered why you picked the M13 over the Helix Hx.

It's not a competition.
  • I used to have an M13 and wish I'd never sold it. It's quite an old product now but seems to be still quite a high price. I think if I was buying today I'd go for the HX as there's not a huge price difference.

• SporkySporky Frets: 28173
    It's about £16 isn't it?

I'd think the HXFX is well worth another £16.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."