Tweed/Marshall Pedal with Blackface Amps

What's Hot
strat84strat84 Frets: 314
 Just wondered if anyone could recommend a Tweed or Marshall style pedal to use with a Blackface amp? 

I play through an old Super Reverb with a Strat/LP. I've got the TS and D type pedals covered (TS clone/Barber LTD/Euphoria) so I'm after something that will get me towards Cream, Hendrix, Bluesbreaker etc tones. 

I've been looking at the Keeley 1962x or the Catalinbread Formula 5f6, both sound really good on YT clips but I'd love to hear from someone who has gigged with this kind of setup. Happy to listen to other suggestions as well! 

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Snouse Black Box does great Bluesbreaker type sounds, Lovepedal is a good shout for tweeds 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Marshall Guv'nor Plus.

If this pedal was housed in a fancy big enclosure with six separate knobs, a daft name and a £200+ price tag it would be recommended as the best Marshall-in-a-box pedal...

The 'Deep' control gives it a real 4x12" thump.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • strat84strat84 Frets: 314
    Cheers chaps will have a look into these! 
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Zvex Distortron is good for the Marshall/Bassman character. The sub switches come in handy as you might not want the full bass flavour of the BOR paired with a Super. 
    Menatone Ms Foxy Brown sounds *excellent* with Blackface amps if you’re after a smaller tweed amp sound. 
  • swlabrswlabr Frets: 29
    edited August 2018
    @JDE, great call on the Menatone. Miss it at times. Do you still have it, James? That's a long time to hold on to a drive pedal by my standards!
    All Menatone's amps-in-a-box I've tried are outstanding. King of Britains is another one you won't go wrong with for the marshall flavour. Theres even voxy one Top Boost in a Can. Someone was asking about vox style pedals not long ago but can't find the post.

I've tried many marshalls-in-a-box. My favourite by long is Ramble FX Marvel Drive.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    @swlabr sadly not, I traded it for something or other a while ago. Just got a Menatone Dirty Blonde from @Jeebas here though. It’s a bit of a “larger amp” tweed voice, more like a Tweed Twin, but it’s also very good. 
  • strat84strat84 Frets: 314
     Thanks @JDE and @swlabr, will have a look into these as well!

Are the Menatone pedals only available in the U.S? Had a quick search and couldn't find anything here.

• swlabrswlabr Frets: 29
    I've seen them in some Spanish and German shops but they were very expensive. Haven't seen them lately, though.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Add a boost pedal with a TS pedal  - oh and ditch the Strat for a LP and you good to go!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>