Another Dubai hellhole story

What's Hot
Still don’t understand why people go there. Held for 3 days with 4 year-old daughter without access to toilet, food and water.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/aug/11/woman-arrested-with-daughter-in-dubai-over-drinking-wine-is-released

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Presumably she was made an example of because she was a woman travelling alone with her daughter. If it had been a businessman in a suit I’m sure they would have turned a blind eye. Otherwise, if it’s illegal to drink alcohol on the flight it why does the airline offer it? Surely there’s more to this story than meets the eye?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Absolutely vile. And there’s not a thing the family can do about it now. 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    I’ve never seen the fascination with paying thousands of pounds to fly out to heavily suppressed or religiously policed bum fuck nowhere to break their backwards rules and get arrested, or worse. 

Jaywick is just down the A12 and you’ll get all of that plus your motor nicked and head kicked in for free.. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Presumably she was made an example of because she was a woman travelling alone with her daughter. If it had been a businessman in a suit I’m sure they would have turned a blind eye. Otherwise, if it’s illegal to drink alcohol on the flight it why does the airline offer it? Surely there’s more to this story than meets the eye?
    Sounds like she was made an example of because she got stroppy.

Presumably alcohol is sold on the flight as a way to entrap you later if you step out of line.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6684
    Many years ago a friend of mine was flying British Airways to Riyadh in Saudi. As they approached landing the pilot came on the tannoy and said "Ladies and Gentlemen, we are now making our final approach to Riyadh. Please return to your seats, fasten your seat belts and set your watches back 2.000 years". 

8reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsun said:
    Presumably she was made an example of because she was a woman travelling alone with her daughter. If it had been a businessman in a suit I’m sure they would have turned a blind eye. Otherwise, if it’s illegal to drink alcohol on the flight it why does the airline offer it? Surely there’s more to this story than meets the eye?
    Sounds like she was made an example of because she got stroppy.

Presumably alcohol is sold on the flight as a way to entrap you later if you step out of line.

Yes, just clicked the link in the article. It appears she had a run in with an immigration officer and admitted to having consumed alcohol on the flight. Pretty dumb move although she might have been worried they would breathalyse her. Still, absolutely disgusting treatment considering she had her daughter with her.
  • Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340
    about 10% of the actual story in the guardian article, I'm willing to bet.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The same people outraged at this will probably moan about immigrants not trying to integrate to UK life
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    1reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6061
    The same people outraged at this will probably moan about immigrants not trying to integrate to UK life
    She didn't have much opportunity to integrate. She never got to leave the airport.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • The same people outraged at this will probably moan about immigrants not trying to integrate to UK life
    She was effectively done on a technicality. She drank alcohol on the plane which I assume is legal but then still had it in her system when she got to Dubai which is illegal. She was made an example of by a jobsworth abusing their powition of power. There’s no equivalence with immigrants not integrating into UK life.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5854
    The same people outraged at this will probably moan about immigrants not trying to integrate to UK life
    She was effectively done on a technicality. She drank alcohol on the plane which I assume is legal but then still had it in her system when she got to Dubai which is illegal. She was made an example of by a jobsworth abusing their powition of power. There’s no equivalence with immigrants not integrating into UK life.
    Yep, that comment couldn't have made less sense.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    edited August 2018
    The article is hugely misleading. She was detained at immigration as she had declared her intention to work, but had no work permit or visa. (Edit: it also looks like she attempted to bribe immigration officials by asking to "buy" a work visa from them). Her child was detained with her because she had nobody else with her to care for it, and could have been deported at any time.

She was only asked about, and tested for, the alcohol consumption during a medical assessment whilst already detained for what was, essentially, illegal entry into the country.

Don't fall for the Islamophobic spin that the media are trying to create. Illegal immigrants are treated far, far worse in the USA, where in fact people are petitioning to ensure that children are never seperated from their parents when detained.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    merlin said:
    Many years ago a friend of mine was flying British Airways to Riyadh in Saudi. As they approached landing the pilot came on the tannoy and said "Ladies and Gentlemen, we are now making our final approach to Riyadh. Please return to your seats, fasten your seat belts and set your watches back 2.000 years". 

a bit daunting seeing as there were no aircraft 2000 years ago...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    The article is hugely misleading. She was detained at immigration as she had declared her intention to work, but had no work permit or visa. (Edit: it also looks like she attempted to bribe immigration officials by asking to "buy" a work visa from them). Her child was detained with her because she had nobody else with her to care for it, and could have been deported at any time.

She was only asked about, and tested for, the alcohol consumption during a medical assessment whilst already detained for what was, essentially, illegal entry into the country.

Don't fall for the Islamophobic spin that the media are trying to create. Illegal immigrants are treated far, far worse in the USA, where in fact people are petitioning to ensure that children are never seperated from their parents when detained.
    This. 

There is is way more to it than her having a drink on a flight. I’ve had a drink on just about every long haul flight I’ve taken in and out of the UAE, and got pretty pissed in the lounge beforehand on a lot of occasions. 

From what I can tell, she should have been eligible for a visa on a arrival for free, but didn’t accept this option and thought she could bribe her way through and onto the visa she wanted (which seriously won’t work here). When the officials said no she started filming and making a scene, which would get you arrested in any major international airport.

Im not going to defend the jails here as obviously they’re horrendous and need improvement, but there is no way she arrested “for having had a glass of wine”.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    I think there is a bit more to this than the headline seemingly she had visa issues and was getting into an argument with officials then made the mistake of getting out her phone and videoing the immigration officer. I have never been to Dubai but doubt its the sort of place to be an uppity woman ranting about the stress they were causing her child by telling her she could not enter and had to fly straight back.

The story emphasises her huge financial losses and damage to her business blah blah blah obviously lawyers are involved.

There is no doubt UAE has a dodgy track record for this sort of thing but if you pulled out a camera at immigration in the U.K. and started filming you would probably come unstuck to some degree.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    Read about the things that happen throughout the world

Don't believe in everything you see or hear

The neighbors talk day in day out about the goings on

They tell us what they want, they don't give an inch

Look at the pictures taken by the cameras they cannot lie

The truth is in what you see, not what you read

Little men tapping things out, points of view

Remember their views are not the gospel truth

Don't believe it all
    Find out for yourself
    Check before you spread
    News of the world
    Never doubt
    Never ask
    Never moan
    Never search
    Never find
    Never know
    News of the world
    News of the world

Each morning our key to the world comes through the door

More than often it's just a comic, not much more

Don't take it too serious, not many do

Read between the lines and you'll find the truth

Read all about it, read all about it
    News of the world, news of the world
    Read all about it, read all about it
    News of the world, news of the world

Mr B Foxton
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • The article is hugely misleading. She was detained at immigration as she had declared her intention to work, but had no work permit or visa. (Edit: it also looks like she attempted to bribe immigration officials by asking to "buy" a work visa from them). Her child was detained with her because she had nobody else with her to care for it, and could have been deported at any time.

Now the story is making sense. I hate how supposedly reputable media don’t give the full story even when the facts are available.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6684
    57Deluxe said:
    a bit daunting seeing as there were no aircraft 2000 years ago...
    Well there goes my conspiracy/aliens theory up in smoke.  =)
    The article is hugely misleading. She was detained at immigration as she had declared her intention to work, but had no work permit or visa. 
    Interesting, sounds like you know more about this than is being reported - what’s your source for the fact that it was a work visa?

The Grauniad article only mentions that it was a 5 day trip to visit friends.

Now the story is making sense. I hate how supposedly reputable media don’t give the full story even when the facts are available.
    All the media are reporting the same story so where are the true facts available about this?