Have you noticed an increase in your EON energy useage?

What's Hot
Had a smart meter installed a couple of months ago and found it really useful to keep on top of things. Just recently though, in the the last week, the daily cost has tripled! Anyone else noticed a similar thing? Yes the boy is off school but there really isn't anything different happening than a normal day. Gonna give them a shout next week but just wondering if anyone here has noticed the same. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7031
    tFB Trader
    I'm with e-On but have so far resisted the weekly badgering to get a smart meter fitted.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2441
    I'm with e-On but have so far resisted the weekly badgering to get a smart meter fitted.
    If my meter readings are anything to go by, do it. You could be getting royally bummed by them. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2018 tFB Trader
    Probably. Gas and electricity are about £3K a year. I've just checked our tariff though and it's very reasonable I think.
    Probably. Gas and electricity are about £3K a year. I've just checked our tariff though and it's very reasonable I think.
    Thats mental money. Thought I was paying a lot. Got mine to about 1200 a year. Will be more if the meter keeps reading what it is though. 

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    edited August 2018
    EON badgered me to have smart meters fitted - and when they turned up (late) - they couldn’t fit them due to missing brackets.

They said they’d be in touch (about a year ago). I’ve heard nothing since....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    edited August 2018
    I work in the industry. The meter is probably recording correctly and something has changed with your consumption. If you do think it's faulty, switch everything off at the fuse box and watch the meter for a half hour. (take a start photo if it helps) If the meter still moves it's faulty. 
    I work in the industry. The meter is probably recording correctly and something has changed with your consumption. If you do think it's faulty, switch everything off at the fuse box and watch the meter for a half hour. (take a start photo if it helps) If the meter still moves it's faulty. 
    Ok will do thanks. 

• RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    EON fitted a smart meter. It doesn't work because there's no mobile signal in that part of my house. They can't take it out because their process requires them to download readings first. Catch 22
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • danodano Frets: 1593

have you thought of shutting down one of the Mansion wings during the winter? 
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7786

Because I live alone, and don't have to have the heating turned up full ;) my annual gas/electric is around £8-900, which isn't bad seeing as I'm here almost 24hours/day 7days/week.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • ClashmanClashman Frets: 175
    My annual bill is around  £400 I only have electric for everything. I use the economy 7 time to wash clothes
    and switch stuff off rather than  use standby I do boil water and flask it and cook frugally..
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    dano said:
    have you thought of shutting down one of the Mansion wings during the winter? 
    We live in an 18th century cottage (solid walls) and used to have very gappy windows but recently fitted new double-glazed units (still in keeping of course) so hoping the gas bills will come down appreciably.

We also have two boilers, a separate one in my workshop which probably doesn't help.
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    I think i've related this on FB before but I had a smart meter installed about 6 years ago. It was ok until 2 years ago when i noticed a similar thing that the readings had gone up. I was having to read it myself because i had changed supplier and the new one couldn't read it remotely. The next time i took a reading it had gone up ten fold! My electricity usage very rarely alters, there is only me and the wife so i contacted the supplier and they said they would have to replace the meter but at a cost of £138. This would be refunded should the old meter be found to be faulty. Someone came and did the meter change and it was sent away for testing. A couple of months later they wrote to say that the meter was so faulty they couldn't estimate how much it was over reading accurately. I really can't see the point in smart meters other than the utility company doesn't have to send someone to read it. The device that it comes with which you can see you're consumption, is somewhere in the garage under other rubbish. If you want an appliance on in your house, you are going to have it on whether there is a red light on the display or not. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14243
    tFB Trader
    Isn't there something silly with a smart meter that if you change supplier you have to get another new smart meter  fitted? - It can't be used for all companies 
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    Isn't there something silly with a smart meter that if you change supplier you have to get another new smart meter  fitted? - It can't be used for all companies 
    According to the people pushing these things that is going to change in the near future. 
    tFB Trader
    SMETS2 is going to work across vendors. I think that e-On will be rolling them out towards year end.
  • Have they swopped your day & night meter readings? During the summer it may make little difference but as you get off the end of summer you notice the prices getting hiked and then you suss it and its the devils own job getting the bastards to realise what they're doing. In the end I cancelled the contract and went back to my previous supplier. I got back about half of what the bastards had overcharged me.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 880
    Gosh that's a lot. Our gas and electricity is about minus £300 a year.  We invested in solar panels, electric and thermal about 8 years ago. The solar thermal didn't really make financial sense (it meant it will take longer before we will break even on the investment) but it is nice having free hot water in the summer.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom