NAD: Bad Cat Cub

What's Hot
smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 666

So, after a month or so of deliberating over which model of AC30 I wanted to buy, I was put onto the trail of a Bad Cat for sale on here as a “better” alternative. So the investigation and the GAS ensued but sadly I just couldn’t stretch my budget. At the same time, Peach had a couple of the USA Player Series amps in stock 2nd hand, so I took the plunge! Having never seen or heard a Bad Cat in the flesh, I was slightly apprehensive that it might not be totally for me, but I needn’t have worried. It blew me away! 

I was lucky enough to be able to A/B this against an AC30 with Blues, both at home volume and full blast at rehearsal and the Bad Cat literally shat all over it! Chuffed to bits with this purchase!

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k100/keir_smith/C34E3E6E-4105-43F0-967C-B56927DC97DD.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k100/keir_smith/5289EE1C-F1A1-4C46-99A7-C979622D4709.jpg

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9534
    Great amps aren't they mate ?

Vastly underrated imho...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LITERALLY shat all over it? I'd.... I'd have an amp tech look at that... or a vet.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 666
    It’s superb, really is! I’m glad I ended up with the 40watt as I think the 15w might have not been quite enough for me. 

It sounds amazing with the gain at 3 o’clock and then pushed with a boost pedal for extra drive
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Great score! My favourite amp brand. I'm looking into a Cub to go with my Black Cat...
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Huge Bad Cat fan here too, lovely amps 
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    These look fantastic. I must admit I have not tried one or looked into them before but I’m really impressed from the videos I just seen. 

How much headroom do they have or am I missing the point by asking that? Are they more of an overdriven amp?

Great score @smudge_lad ;
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 666
    shaunm said:
    These look fantastic. I must admit I have not tried one or looked into them before but I’m really impressed from the videos I just seen. 

How much headroom do they have or am I missing the point by asking that? Are they more of an overdriven amp?

Great score @smudge_lad ;
    You can get this running sparkly clean with plenty headroom if you want it that way. When I’ve been gigging I have the gain about 3 o’clock, and master volume sits around half way. I turn down guitar volume slightly if I want a cleaner sound, which is really very rarely.

I switch between the tubes for dirtier tones, and use the fat switch for lead boost. It’s brilliant! I’ve had so much great feedback from other guitarists and sound-tech’s over the past few weeks about how great it sounds. 

I let a mate borrow it and I was out in the crowd and was able to hear it from a distance too. It’s just insanely good!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom