TC MojoMojo Drive

What's Hot
TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1845
Inadvertently found myself watching ol' spider fingers Paul Gilbert on YouTube last night and I see he's still using the tc MojoMojo as his base drive.

Sure I had one in the dim and distant past and can't recall it being anything particularly special but he makes it sound very very nice indeed. For sub 30 quid in some places I'm tempted to try one again

Anyone else use one regularly
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12359
    I had one which I sold and bought a tubescreamer clone.  On the plus side its a great clean boost, its not a patch on the tubescreamer for overdrive for me, tad harsh.  Good value for money though.
  • AlvinAlvin Frets: 416
    They are a great overdrive ,use mine all the time and i prefer it over a few so called boutique o/d's that i never bother with .  They are seen as an underdog because of the low price but they are nothing of the sort .   They are not a tubescreamer just a nice straightforward overdrive that seems to thicken up your sound  . I don't find it muddy but i usually have the bass on zero .    
      What i would like to know though is ..... Where for less than £30.00 ?     I'll get a spare .

I also have the dark matter , that ones just ok , nothing special .
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5370
    I use one as my main drive/gain source, and for my purposes it's fine.  Obviously not the best pedal out there, but it covers a lot of ground (from "no gain all level" through to "I thought this was an overdrive, not a distortion pedal").

Have to say that the voicing toggle doesn't really do a great deal on my rig, but that might be down to the guitar/amp combo as much as anything.

You do need to spend a fair bit of time fiddling with it to get exactly what you want.  Annoyingly when I did that, intending on going for three gain options via a loop switcher (Mojo, Dark Matter, and channel switch on the amp) I ended up dialling the Mojo in so it inadvertently totally mimicked the dirty channel on the amp ... which was both impressive and annoying in equal measure :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Yeah I've wondered about how Paul Gilbert makes the MojoMojo sound so good and I wonder if it's because he's running a slightly dirty amp. I can't get mine to sound anything other than woofy and undefined. It seems wrong to have to dial the bass all the way back to get the pedal to sound good?

I love the Dark Matter however and have had one on my board for over a year.
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    There is quite a lot of talk on the jazz forums of using the Mojomojo. I use it at home with a clean amp to get a nice “dirty clean.”  
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I think Gilbert is clear that his amps are run clean and the Mojomojo is the only dirt. However, it is particular amps - I don't think he's saying it's so amazing you could plug into anything and sound like a Marshall stack. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951

Yeah I've wondered about how Paul Gilbert makes the MojoMojo sound so good and I wonder if it's because he's running a slightly dirty amp. I can't get mine to sound anything other than woofy and undefined. It seems wrong to have to dial the bass all the way back to get the pedal to sound good?

I love the Dark Matter however and have had one on my board for over a year.
    I'd like to try the MojoMojo. Bill from Chords of Orion (ambient youtube chap) uses it a lot on his videos. I had the Dark Matter for about a year too, it's baffling how it will go from overdrive to classic rock distortion and yet still retain the guitar's tone. It's a really interesting pedal in that regard, especially for £40
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I used one for a fair while. It was OK, I seem to recall it shined more in a low gain setting. 
    I moved it on because it lost a lot of articulation when using most chord voicings beyond power chords or normal major minor stuff. 
    I'd look at the liquid sunshine in the classifieds or a nobels odr-1 instead personally if you want that level of gain with decent articulation. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I'm with @failed_astronaut The MojoMojo is OK but I've never really been happy with it, but the Dark Matter is great. I bought both together unheard and I'd expected it to be the other way round.
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Loved the Dark Matter, underwhelmed by the MojoMojo. A mushy, bassy mess. Not for me at all. Might have been my amp and set up but no i was disappointed with that one. 

• @EricTheWeary ; I did think he was running his amps clean but then, how clean is "clean" and where was his guitar volume control etc. What I find amazing is that he has the bass control dialed pretty high but he still gets a nice clear tone. It's probably worth adding the disclaimer though that this is PG we're talking about, the man is a genius!
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky

• @joetele ; I've still got my MojoMojo if you want to give one a try? Possible swap for your Digitech delay?
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951

@joetele ; I've still got my MojoMojo if you want to give one a try? Possible swap for your Digitech delay?
    Thanks for the offer dude, but my Digitech delay is staying put I'm afraid - it's too useful a pedal to give up! 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294

@EricTheWeary ; I did think he was running his amps clean but then, how clean is "clean" and where was his guitar volume control etc. What I find amazing is that he has the bass control dialed pretty high but he still gets a nice clear tone. It's probably worth adding the disclaimer though that this is PG we're talking about, the man is a genius!
    I was watching one of those JHS vlogs ( boo, hiss...) and he said something like there is only one type of overdrive but just with different EQs - own one overdrive and a graphic EQ and you've got all the overdrives ever made. Or something like that. I think Gilbert says he listens to the guitar sound on Blackout by The Scorpions and if he can get close to that then it will work. Decent gear competently dialed in beats posh gear incompetently dialed in. I guess in PG's case many years of fine tuning the process means he can get his guitar sound quite quickly.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    I've been using the MojoMojo on my small board for some gigs depping with a punk band recently. As you can see from the pic, I've had the bass and treble pushed slightly and it's not overly boomy or muddy (certainly nothing like a tube screamer  type though). I'm boosting it with the Xotic RC in front for a slightly heavier drive sound when needed and running it into a couple of valve amps - a Laney VC15 which is just starting to break up and my old Vox Concert 501 (50w 1x12") clean for added solidity and grunt. Both combos are open backed.

It has a distinct 'saggyness' to the bottom end (which I like) - I assume from the colour scheme it's supposed to be emulating an old tweedy combo (with the Dark Matter being the 'Marshall stack')?

It's working for me. :)
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

It's working for me. :)
    Love the pedal board .... what's the thing in the top right of the pic .. a battery pack?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    edited August 2018
    Fretwired said:

It's working for me.
    Love the pedal board .... what's the thing in the top right of the pic .. a battery pack?
    Yep - just a diy battery pack (6 AA batteries, as seen written on it). I also made up an 8 AA version for use with rechargeable batteries (nominal 1.2V each). Very cheap to build and saves a lot of hassle on setup on the sort of gigs I've been playing with them.

The top left black box is the latest addition - a GigRig Isolator box. Before fitting that, I was getting interference between the TC Alter Ego (far L) and the Boss BF-2 Flanger (far R) and had to run the BF-2 on a separate PP3 battery (and a fresh one each gig!). The Isolator fixes that and is small enough to squeeze onto this board.
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    joetele said:

@joetele ; I've still got my MojoMojo if you want to give one a try? Possible swap for your Digitech delay?
    Thanks for the offer dude, but my Digitech delay is staying put I'm afraid - it's too useful a pedal to give up! 

You can pick a DigiDelay up here if it's urgent - https://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/product/digitech_digidelay_fx_pedal_2nd_hand_-ydigitech74956/

Sorry for the thread highjack.

• photekphotek Frets: 1463
    Good pedal for pushing a dirty amp (particularly a Marshall) and quite handy to tweak the EQ a bit. Sounds pretty good as a low gain drive into a clean amp as well. You can't really go wrong for £25
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 271
    edited August 2018
    I like it for grumbly low gain, have the bass at 1 and the treble at 4, with humbuckered semi, also into a VC15.
    Interestingly, when I'm more often than not playing thru a (gasp) pocket pod at night, its the one pedal that still sounds really decent. The mosfet TS and cascaded jfet drive I have sound amazing through the amp but a bit brittle into the pod, whereas the mojo stays full and chimey. With headphones on you can hear that the toggle adds some bass in the up position.