Bigsby on my 339.

What's Hot
DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
I've really wanted to do it for a long time but I also don't want to have to do anything to my treasured 339 that would be irreversible. 

Where do I start? Anything to watch out for? 

I could however do eithout if anybody fancies just giving me a black Les Paul custom with silver hardware and silver bigsby already fitted. 

Feel free!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Ooh, will my case that came with still fit?  
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    edited April 2014
    Bigsby B5 & Vibramate V5 combination would do the trick. And yes the case should still fit. See below:

http://www.vibramate.com/vibramate-model-chart.php

It will look like my SG in my avatar.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    Bonza, cheers @Stevebrum!
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Deijavoo said: a black Les Paul custom with silver hardware and silver bigsby already fitted.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/Lixarto/LP538412.jpg
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader
    I asked the tech I usually use about putting a Bigsby on my Gretsch and he said to me: 

"Putting Bigsbys on guitars is one of the most common things I do and so is taking them back off again."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That's a legally binding contract @Lixarto. ;

Everyone has seen that, you have offered it for free. 

7 or 8 beers in or not I'm driving to wherever you are to pick that up now. 

:-D 

Delicious.
    Arrive soon while there's still some gin left :)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

I asked the tech I usually use about putting a Bigsby on my Gretsch and he said to me: 

"Putting Bigsbys on guitars is one of the most common things I do and so is taking them back off again."
    For what reasons? 
    Lixarto said:
    Arrive soon while there's still some gin left :)
    Just PM me some directions and I'll get my hazard lights on. 
    tFB Trader
    Deijavoo said:

For what reasons? 
    Because people get pissed off with tuning stability, it changing the tone of the guitar and the irritations with changing strings.
    edited April 2014
    There is no tuning instability with a correctly maintained Bigsby.

"Tone" is nearly always snake oil, so I'll not comment, but I'll give you the string change.

£30 buys you a thing that makes it easier though, I cannot remember the name.
    tFB Trader
    Don't shoot the messenger this is third hand information.
    edited April 2014
    The first few minutes is some of my favourite tone ever

Also this

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    NO! Just NO!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    Oh dear, we just don't agree on much do we Phil? 

Ha ha ha.  :-D 
    You're sounding like your namesake.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Lixarto said:

Spring spoiler is the name
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72513
    Lixarto said:
    There is no tuning instability with a correctly maintained Bigsby.

"Tone" is nearly always snake oil, so I'll not comment, but I'll give you the string change.

The string change is easy too when you get the hang of it. Just like anything else unfamiliar there's a short learning curve and then you wonder why anyone complains about it.

No need to spend £30 on anything. All you do is pre-bend the ball end of the string so it stays on the peg, and learn to keep a little tension on the string with one hand while you do the machinehead stuff with the other. Simples.

They do definitely change the tone (or more accurately the note attack/decay character) of the guitar though - whether that matters to you or not is just down to preference.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31636
    Pre bend the ball end, then use a capo to hold the strings on while you feed them through the tuners.

I love Bigsbys and never have a problem with tuning stability. The nut on your guitar should be sorted anyway, whether you have a vibrato system of any kind or not.

I do usually end up removing them though, I constantly adjust the controls when I play and the damn things just get in the way.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom