I'm back from bloodstock and now I fancy a flying v or explorer!!!

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
I'm a les paul player but those flying v's and explorers just look and sound great. I'm a metaller at heart (1st band I saw live was motorhead) and I thought it might make a change from the les paul.
But, I'm not sure if I can pull it off as I don'T have long hair. 

Can Short haired punk rockers with tattoo sleeves pull off a flying v or explorer??!! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I got a shaved head/No.1 and a beard and I just bought a sparkly white Explorer. 
    I'm 45, covered in tattoos and a metal head.

I don't give a FF what anyone thinks.

Do it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    Alnico said:
    I got a shaved head/No.1 and a beard and I just bought a sparkly white Explorer. 
    I'm 45, covered in tattoos and a metal head.

Do it.
    Class.
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360

I will ask how tall you are though. I dearly love Explorers but at a whole 5'6" on a good day I tend to look a little daft rocking one. Might not be enough to stop me getting a Thayer one though. @Alnico what is the neck profile like on yours (happy NGD by the way).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    cbilly22 said:

I will ask how tall you are though. I dearly love Explorers but at a whole 5'6" on a good day I tend to look a little daft rocking one. Might not be enough to stop me getting a Thayer one though. @Alnico what is the neck profile like on yours (happy NGD by the way).

I'm 5'9" , average height
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1132
    Vs are ace, super light and sound great. Ballache to play sitting down unless you go classical style

• I've got a shaved head, when I was gigging for years my main guitars were a Jackson King V and a Kelly, so I'd say go for it :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

cbilly22 said:

Ahh, you'll be fine, I'm just the wrong side of average sadly.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    Welcome to the pointy side...

Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10384
    tFB Trader
    Explorers fine for the vertically challenged in my book ... Firebirds on the other hand look like you are rocking a coffee table. As for Flying Vs ... if they are good enough for Poppa Chubby and Albert King ... Andy Powell and Michael Schenker I'd say that has all style bases nicely covered.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    I love my Esp Explorer.. 

I’m now completely shaved to the skin, but have a beard.. 

I’d still play it if I was hairless though.. 

Not fitting in is as rock n roll as it gets mate. Do it. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    cbilly22 said:

...In the 1890’s. :)
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797

Alnico said:

Would you like rock a Hello Kitty guitar wearing a pink tutu and a ginger wig, only answering to the name Chi Chi LaVarga?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7287
    I'm a les paul player but those flying v's and explorers just look and sound great. I'm a metaller at heart (1st band I saw live was motorhead) and I thought it might make a change from the les paul.
    But, I'm not sure if I can pull it off as I don'T have long hair. 

Can Short haired punk rockers with tattoo sleeves pull off a flying v or explorer??!! 

Dunno but James Hetfield is a pretty iconic explorer player and has short hair and sleeves.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    edited August 2018
    Explorers fine for the vertically challenged in my book ... Firebirds on the other hand look like you are rocking a coffee table. As for Flying Vs ... if they are good enough for Poppa Chubby and Albert King ... Andy Powell and Michael Schenker I'd say that has all style bases nicely covered.

Didn't you used to have one of the single pickup Melody Maker Explorers or did I imagine that. Sure we chatted about it when I gota P90 bucker off you for one of my MMs. The body on those was a little smaller and would have suited me rather well

Sorry for mild thread derail.

octatonic said:
    cbilly22 said:

...In the 1890’s. :)

Does that mean I was average height in the 1790s?
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10384
    tFB Trader
    cbilly22 said:

Didn't you used to have one of the single pickup Melody Maker Explorers or did I imagine that. Sure we chatted about it when I gota P90 bucker off you for one of my MMs. The body on those was a little smaller and would have suited me rather well

Sorry for mild thread derail.

I did indeed ... the slightly smaller body waas really nice. I passed it on as I can only have so many one pickup guitars ... and I already have two Esquires!
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    cbilly22 said:

It's a slim 60's profile and it's not too thick, it's really a great neck to play.
    I'm 6ft tall.

This has made me want a Firebird now..

octatonic said:

Alnico said:

Would you like rock a Hello Kitty guitar wearing a pink tutu and a ginger wig, only answering to the name Chi Chi LaVarga?
    Almost certainly, I'm rarely sober.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AnderzAnderz Frets: 30
    I much admit that play my Jackson Rhoads short haired feels a bit wrong. Thank fully my hair still grows despite reaching 44 today! 

Still a V and Explorer are great guitars everyone should check out once in their lives.
    Computer Shop UK Your PC Needs In One Place: https://computershopuk.com/
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I’m 50 and regularly gig an ibanez destroyer.  It’s a great guitar and people assume you’re cooler than you are just for using it.  Go for it!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks guys , I have a mate who had a Flying V and an explorer , I might see if he’ll lend me them .