Blackstar HT-5 Problem!

lamf68lamf68 Frets: 851

A mate of mine owns a Blackstar HT-5 Combo in the Ltd Oxblood colour, amp has been working fine on a daily basis, he turned it on today to no sound, then when flicking the gain switch a massive deafening hum can be heard. As I'm a total spaz with anything amp based I can't offer him any sound advice apart from writing to Blackstar, just kinda hoping someone on here with a bit of amp knowledge would have a rough idea what the problem may be and potential cost of fixing the problem.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1631
    edited April 2014
    Possibly the 12BH7 OP valve shorting but not one I have ever had!

If a trip to Northampton is not on the cards (we ARE lovely tho!) there are servicentres in...
    Bristol. SC Electronics 0117 9348805
    and Swansea. Custom Guitar Works 01792 872456. 

Even if it was just the OP valve the new one would need a bias and balance.

Jeeeust a straw clutch this: Make sure the input jack nut is tight.
    Dave.
  • lamf68lamf68 Frets: 851

Dave, much appreciated mate, I'll pass the info onto him tomorrow. We're only 7 miles from Swansea so he'll be okay with that one, Hopefully it'll be a flukey one like the output jack as you suggested!!!

Cheers again Rich

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I didn't know you guys were in Northampton. I just moved to Wellingborough a few months ago.
    edited April 2014
    Adam_MD said:
    I didn't know you guys were in Northampton. I just moved to Wellingborough a few months ago.

Ooo! You are only tens of minutes away then. B's are at Moulton Park. Take the scenic route through Sywell.
     Lamf68 INPUT jack mate!!! Where the geetar goes.
    Dave.

edited April 2014

Have just received a video off my mate of the amp, it's now making a ticking noise like a heartbeat! Anyone know how I upload a video here?

edited April 2014
    lamf68 said:

Video of the Problem

http://tinypic.com/m/hwiwjc/3
     Nope. Site opens but no HT-5 VID.

Dave.

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Wait, whats this thing in swansea you speak of?
    edited April 2014
    edited April 2014
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    Video plays fine for me (both posts).

I've never heard anything like that from my HT-5. What has your mate been doing to it to get it's heart pounding?
    :)
    Video plays fine for me (both posts).

I've never heard anything like that from my HT-5. What has your mate been doing to it to get it's heart pounding?
    :)
    No idea mate, he said it was working fine on a daily basis, then a couple of days ago, clean channel does what the video shows and the gain channel gives off a massive loud sonic hum!!!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    I can't watch the video right now but if it's making a loud hum or 'motorboating', do what Dave said - first check the input jack nut is tight, and if that doesn't fix it, contact Blackstar.

They're actually very helpful even if the amp is out of warranty, and may be able to point you in the right direction even if you don't want to send it back there.

If you have a spare 12AX7 it may be worth trying that first, but I probably wouldn't buy a 12BH7 unless you're sure it's that - as Dave said it will need a tech to fit and bias it really.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein