Helix Computer editor

What's Hot
preston61preston61 Frets: 690
edited August 2018 in FX

I'm enjoying how easy the Helix is to use, however after hooking it up to the computer last night I was a little surprised to see that you can't edit patches unless the Helix is actually plugged in.

Does anyone know if there are any plans to change this? I'd love to be able to add patches, and create sets on my laptop without having to lug the Helix unit downstairs. I appreciate hearing what you've created isn't possible without plugging in, however I would be more productive if I could set up the basics on my laptop at a different time (an app would be even better!) and then connect the Helix, download the created patches and then tweak the things.

I don't get much chance to play in the house (children and life stuff etc) so when I do I want to be able to maximise that time, having everything setup before hand and only having to tweak would speed things up so much

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    without sounding like too much of a nob... wouldn't it be easier to take your laptop to the helix?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • preston61preston61 Frets: 690
    sgosden said:
    without sounding like too much of a nob... wouldn't it be easier to take your laptop to the helix?

Not sounding like a nob fella, all our circumstances differ. I get what your saying, but I can use the laptop in the lounge whilst hanging out with my wife and 5 week old baby girl. Being upstairs makes it harder to be on hand to help out when the little one decides she needs a cuddle. Also the Helix lives in its box when it's not being used so not getting it out every time would help

I also tend to find most of my free time is when I'm not at home (lunch break, commute) It would be great to use that time to do some of things that would increase my actual playing time

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    edited August 2018
    I wonder if it's just that enough people wouldn't find it useful, it's not worth developing.

How would helix know which version of a patch (done via unit or via editor at different times when not connectec) should be kept for example?

• preston61preston61 Frets: 690
    I wonder if it's just that enough people wouldn't find it useful, it's not worth developing.

How would helix know which version of a patch (done via unit or via editor at different times when not connectec) should be kept for example?

I get that, there are so many things that get requested for the Helix developer guys that they'd never be able to do everything.

I downloaded a patch last night from a site and just wanted to put it in to the computer editor so that the next time I connect the Helix it would be there ready to go.

It's not a big problem, I just wondered if I was alone in thinking it would be helpful to be able to create without pluggin the Helix in, it would appear that I am :-)

• shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    Funnily enough, I also thought that this would be useful but I had a quick google and it looks like it's not going to be possible as the hx edit software is basically just a 'viewer' for the helix.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Isn’t this what Native is for?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28190
    I was going to suggest a potential workaround - if you can get a CAT5 cable between the two rooms, you can run USB over it. You'd have to have the Helix out and turned on, mind.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    Cabicular said:
    Isn’t this what Native is for?
    It is certainly one of the things you can do with Native, and is the method I use to create and tinker with patches.  When I'm happy I load them onto the Helix hardware. 

It may just be me but I couldn't do it completely offline though.  I find I can't build a patch without having a guitar plugged in to hear what's happening as I go along.  
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    It would be handy, not for programming, but for organising patches, renaming stuff you’ve created on the unit that you couldn’t be bothered to give proper names to, or loading downloaded patches to try later
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    preston61 said:
    sgosden said:

Not sounding like a nob fella, all our circumstances differ. I get what your saying, but I can use the laptop in the lounge whilst hanging out with my wife and 5 week old baby girl. Being upstairs makes it harder to be on hand to help out when the little one decides she needs a cuddle. Also the Helix lives in its box when it's not being used so not getting it out every time would help

I also tend to find most of my free time is when I'm not at home (lunch break, commute) It would be great to use that time to do some of things that would increase my actual playing time

Take the little one upstairs with you. 
    I used to do loads of work on the PC with my nipper asleep on my lap. It also gives the misses a break
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.