Impulse response / cab emulation pedals (or plugins?)

Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 323
I've been using a Yamaha THR10 for home practice for a few years. I'm mostly pretty happy with it, but it doesn't completely play nice with every single pedal I use.

I'm interested in people's experience using a cab emulator or impulse response pedal (or the computer based equivalent) alongside amp-in-a-box or preamp type pedals. 

Usage is mostly for home practice, and I might well continue to use the THR as an audio interface (latency is low) in its 'flat' mode. Or alternate between THR10 models, and pedals.

So, are any of the cab emulation/IR pedals any good? Plugins? (latency might be an issue with plugins). 

Alternatively, are any of the amp-in-a-box pedals that are designed to DI (and so have some cab emulation) any good? I can build things, so things like the ROG Condor would be do-able.

Matt

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    The Red Box is a simple approach. The Two Notes CAB is excellent too.
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 323
    I think what I'd need is to be able to plug a preamp pedal (or just a MIAB or FIAB type pedal) into _something_ that'd be provide power amp and speaker emulation that was acceptably good. It'd have have decent headroom, and no latency, but wouldn't necessarily have to provide the ability to add new IRs.
    Things I've seen:

Digitech CabDry
    Mooer Rader
    Neunaber Iconoclast
    RedBox
    TwoNotes
    AMT CN-1

But I've not tried any of them.
    Probably the Two Notes CAB is out of my price range.
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    Not used any of the stand alone stuff but from videos I have used the Mooer Radar looks a useful candidate I like the liadable idea and flexibility that gives.