Anybody using a H&K Grandmeister 36?

RandomGeckoRandomGecko Frets: 319
edited April 2014 in Amps
Seems extremely versatile. What does it excel at? It seems like it does a LOT well but the only thing that concerns me is that a couple have people have commented how bright it is in reviews I've read. 

I'm guessing it leans toward an American clean on ch1, British crunch and lead on ch2 and 3 then a more modern US voicing on ch4?

The other thing is... how dynamic does it feel? I'm always concerned that these more complicated modern amps may lack a little of the tactile feel of a more classic amp?

The other thing is, I've been using a Diezel Einstein as my main gigging amp for the past few months, and whilst I dig it, it's a little lean in the midrange for my tastes. I guess I like honk. Seeing as the H&K is pretty German, is it similar in that regard?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ragingbenragingben Frets: 107
    Be concerned about the brightness. I've just gone back to my Tubemeister 36 and while it's a great amp its
  • ragingbenragingben Frets: 107
    Eq is really hard to get used to. It's more noticeable at lower volumes, but it definitely has a lot of treble, and you need to eq it unlike any other amp I've used. People I've talked to about it all eq it on lead with treble near min, mids and bass maxed. Having said that I'm really loving using mine again and find it quite a fun amp to play and use. The clean channel is excellent and is a joy to gig.

No idea how they compare to other German amps, I'd definitely do my best to try before you buy though, and what bugs me is the complexity of the amp if it goes down before a big gig, short of a tube it's gunna be a hard amp to fix.
  • RandomGeckoRandomGecko Frets: 319
    Gotcha, I will see if I can hunt one down to try.

I know what you mean about the complexity!
  • wordywordy Frets: 67

I had heard that the Grandmeister is not as bright as the Tubemeister..... it really does seem like a cool amp..... I fancy one myself..... but its quite a bit of cash.

You also need an ipad if you're going to do the tweaking via the app.

You'll have to post a review if you end up getting one.

• StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    Seems extremely versatile. What does it excel at? It seems like it does a LOT well but the only thing that concerns me is that a couple have people have commented how bright it is in reviews I've read. 

I'm guessing it leans toward an American clean on ch1, British crunch and lead on ch2 and 3 then a more modern US voicing on ch4?

The other thing is... how dynamic does it feel? I'm always concerned that these more complicated modern amps may lack a little of the tactile feel of a more classic amp?

The other thing is, I've been using a Diezel Einstein as my main gigging amp for the past few months, and whilst I dig it, it's a little lean in the midrange for my tastes. I guess I like honk. Seeing as the H&K is pretty German, is it similar in that regard?
    Here are my thoughts on them, from a related thread from last month - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/178585/#Comment_178585
  • ParkerParker Frets: 960
    Buy the Puretone in the classifieds!
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    My local shop has one set up to try out guitars. Only tried it at shop volume but it is bright sounding to the extent it can make different p/up settings sound unbalanced. Pretty versatile soundwise and is probably better at proper volume levels. Try and crank it before you buy though.