Seagulls.............In Sheffield?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7862
    edited August 2018
    They love scrounging around in landfills
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Having never been to Sheffield, all I can say it that I've heard a lot about the felling of hundreds of trees recently. Perhaps this has created more favourable conditions for seagulls in Sheffield? More room for divebombing for open bags of chips?  A shot in the dark ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4982
    When we were in Bath a few years ago, seagulls were a big problem there. Officialdom was in the process of deciding what to do with the birds....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5854
    Having never been to Sheffield, all I can say it that I've heard a lot about the felling of hundreds of trees recently. Perhaps this has created more favourable conditions for seagulls in Sheffield? More room for divebombing for open bags of chips?  A shot in the dark ;)
    I know you're kidding but it is quite a big issue in Sheffield this Tree Felling. I think, as always, it's 6 of one half......Blah Blah. Some of the Trees earmarked may be healthy but they have raised the pavements to dangerous levels all along a given street and are leaning into the roads and would hit the houses across from them if they fell.

There is an estimated 4.5 million trees in Sheffield, it's a relative low percentage that are coming down. I do give a thumbs up to those in the resistance though if they manage to save some that don't need to come down.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • Having never been to Sheffield, all I can say it that I've heard a lot about the felling of hundreds of trees recently. Perhaps this has created more favourable conditions for seagulls in Sheffield? More room for divebombing for open bags of chips?  A shot in the dark ;)
    I know you're kidding but it is quite a big issue in Sheffield this Tree Felling. I think, as always, it's 6 of one half......Blah Blah. Some of the Trees earmarked may be healthy but they have raised the pavements to dangerous levels all along a given street and are leaning into the roads and would hit the houses across from them if they fell.

There is an estimated 4.5 million trees in Sheffield, it's a relative low percentage that are coming down. I do give a thumbs up to those in the resistance though if they manage to save some that don't need to come down.
    Everything I’ve read in my social media bubble has been totally against the felling (many probably not from Sheff) so it’s good and interesting  to hear a different viewpoint from a resident. I’ll leave it up to you guys to sort out amongst yourselves rather than getting on a high horse. 
    Having never been to Sheffield, all I can say it that I've heard a lot about the felling of hundreds of trees recently. Perhaps this has created more favourable conditions for seagulls in Sheffield? More room for divebombing for open bags of chips?  A shot in the dark ;)

Everything I’ve read in my social media bubble has been totally against the felling (many probably not from Sheff) so it’s good and interesting  to hear a different viewpoint from a resident. I’ll leave it up to you guys to sort out amongst yourselves rather than getting on a high horse. 
    Well, like I say it's swings and roundabouts. I've no doubt there are plenty of trees that are marked that don't need it. I'm really just going on what I've seen in certain areas that does call for it. Even then it's a shame because the roads are splendid looking being tree lined and all that.

I'm certainly no lover of our local authority, I also wonder where all the good wood will go and the money trail. I doubt it'll be made into Guitars ;)
  • Just seen a big seagull outside Costco sat in a chip tray. First one I've seen in Sheffield. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Just seen a big seagull outside Costco sat in a chip tray. First one I've seen in Sheffield. 
    Surely you've seen a Chip Tray in Sheffield before?

B) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ha ha lol usually when I'm trying to attract seagulls!!!.
  • They are meat eaters and will take young birds etc.

This is not normal behaviour but shows what they are capable of:

• SnapSnap Frets: 6264

Well, like I say it's swings and roundabouts. I've no doubt there are plenty of trees that are marked that don't need it. I'm really just going on what I've seen in certain areas that does call for it. Even then it's a shame because the roads are splendid looking being tree lined and all that.

I'm certainly no lover of our local authority, I also wonder where all the good wood will go and the money trail. I doubt it'll be made into Guitars ;)

As I understand it, the trees need sorting and the council chose the cheapest option provided by the contractor. What's clear is that in many places, pavements and roads are being wrecked by old trees that have got pretty big. I think what has added fuel to the situation is the sneaky way the council have gone about it - hacking down trees at 4 and 5am etc.

Other works could have been planned such as heightening roads and/or pavements, but the costs would have been a lot higher.

However, one of the things that gives the city its character is that there are so many trees here. Apparently the council, the contractor and the action group are now going to meet to discuss the whole thing.

I see both sides. If you are someone who's front garden, pavement and drive are being turned up by huge tree roots and trunks, (and there is a lot of this), you'd be glad to see them taken out. Most of the protestors seem to be old buggers who have enough time to tie themselves to an old tree. But its' sad to see a great big tree that it otherwise healthy, taken down.

Heard seagulls flying around at the crack of dawn btw.

Snap said:

As I understand it, the trees need sorting and the council chose the cheapest option provided by the contractor. What's clear is that in many places, pavements and roads are being wrecked by old trees that have got pretty big. I think what has added fuel to the situation is the sneaky way the council have gone about it - hacking down trees at 4 and 5am etc.

Other works could have been planned such as heightening roads and/or pavements, but the costs would have been a lot higher.

However, one of the things that gives the city its character is that there are so many trees here. Apparently the council, the contractor and the action group are now going to meet to discuss the whole thing.

I see both sides. If you are someone who's front garden, pavement and drive are being turned up by huge tree roots and trunks, (and there is a lot of this), you'd be glad to see them taken out. Most of the protestors seem to be old buggers who have enough time to tie themselves to an old tree. But its' sad to see a great big tree that it otherwise healthy, taken down.

Heard seagulls flying around at the crack of dawn btw.

Yeah, that's right @Snap the ones lifting the pavements are a problem, I did mention that above, areas such as Nether Edge, Meersbrook and Crookesmoor have some pavements that look like a BMX Course.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    @bellycaster yeah but those areas are full of student, so it doesn't matter really, ha ! ;)