Surface pro alternative

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    underdog said:
    Well went to pc world and she's just bought a 12inch I pad pro, said it was by far best for drawing, how to integrate it with our windows world is my problem.
    With the Apple Pencil & ProCreate (£10) https://procreate.art/ipad it’s a really good bit of kit & should cover most bases.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    duotone said:
    underdog said:
    Well went to pc world and she's just bought a 12inch I pad pro, said it was by far best for drawing, how to integrate it with our windows world is my problem.
    With the Apple Pencil & ProCreate (£10) https://procreate.art/ipad it’s a really good bit of kit & should cover most bases.

That's exactly what she's bought to go with it, in space of 4 hours she gone from swearing at it and struggling to do draw basic things, to creating some quite fantastic drawings in a few minutes each. Also the symmetry tool is brilliant for mandala patterns. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    underdog said:
    duotone said:
    underdog said:

That's exactly what she's bought to go with it, in space of 4 hours she gone from swearing at it and struggling to do draw basic things, to creating some quite fantastic drawings in a few minutes each. Also the symmetry tool is brilliant for mandala patterns. 

Good timing, the Symmetry Tool is a pretty new feature, it only came out 6-8weeks ago iirc
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28197
    If she fancies using it for note-taking as well, I strongly recommend MyScript Nebo - it's a fiver or so, but it does handwriting recognition and all sorts. Only works with a device with a dedicated active pen though.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    If it's for drawing the Wacom Mobile studio Pro might be worth a look, Wacom make 80% of the digitisers that go into other products.

The disadvantage is that it is less portable and quite expensive. 
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Adding to that is the Wacom Cintiq series which aren't computers, but are touchscreens that work with Pens for any other computer you might already have. 
    Adding to that is the Wacom Cintiq series which aren't computers, but are touchscreens that work with Pens for any other computer you might already have. 

We wanted an all in one solution, so i could be used at the studio and at home without having to move too much stuff. The iPad worked out best for her, she just said it felt better. She's getting use to it pretty fast too.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    edited August 2018
    wibble said:
    I like the idea of this...

No idea how good it is though

This actually looks pretty neat. I do a lot of drawing and I much prefer doodling on paper and scanning on to computer afterwards - this looks like a nice alternative at a decent price.

EDIT: Just went on Amazon and the reviews for this are actually quite scathing. Seems there are tracking issues with the digital image resembling nothing like the one on paper. Still...wouldn't mind trying one out first.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Dopesick said:
    wibble said:
    I like the idea of this...

No idea how good it is though

This actually looks pretty neat. I do a lot of drawing and I much prefer doodling on paper and scanning on to computer afterwards - this looks like a nice alternative at a decent price.

EDIT: Just went on Amazon and the reviews for this are actually quite scathing. Seems there are tracking issues with the digital image resembling nothing like the one on paper. Still...wouldn't mind trying one out first.
    Didn’t read the reviews, but from the website it looked good.  Maybe style over substance?  I must admit lately when looking for anything on Amazon now, the first thing I do is Sort By ‘average customer reviews’
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    underdog said:

We wanted an all in one solution, so i could be used at the studio and at home without having to move too much stuff. The iPad worked out best for her, she just said it felt better. She's getting use to it pretty fast too.
    The big iPad Pro looks very expensive at first - well, it is expensive to be fair.  But then you start totting up the cost of the competition and it looks reasonable value.  'Value' being a different proposition from 'cost' I guess.

I love mine anyway.  I keep meaning to pick up the Apple Pencil, but the fact the artisic genes in my family skipped a generation (i.e. mine) mean I keep putting it off. I've no real idea what I'd use it for, I just fancy one in that sort of vague GAS way.
    randella said:
    underdog said:

The big iPad Pro looks very expensive at first - well, it is expensive to be fair.  But then you start totting up the cost of the competition and it looks reasonable value.  'Value' being a different proposition from 'cost' I guess.

I love mine anyway.  I keep meaning to pick up the Apple Pencil, but the fact the artisic genes in my family skipped a generation (i.e. mine) mean I keep putting it off. I've no real idea what I'd use it for, I just fancy one in that sort of vague GAS way.

The pencil works really well, as with most apple products very well designed. The ipad cost about £700 less than she expected to spend one a surface pro or alternative.
    randella said:
    underdog said:

Do It!  There’s some free colouring in apps that you can use.  The Apple Pencil is definitely a worthy addition.