wah woes..

What's Hot
thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2330
I have a CAE 404 wah which I really like.  However, have noticed it seems to cut out when wiggling it up and down in songs.  Mostly happens when pressing it quite far down.

ideas for fixing it would be great!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• matt1973matt1973 Frets: 386
    That's almost certainly a switch which is on it's last legs. If you drop the height a little, it could help.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3824
    Yes^. I just changed mine for the same reason.
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    dodgy pot?

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2330
    edited April 2014
    So when you say drop the switch a little. What does that mean in idiot speak?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    Undo the switch nuts and lower it slightly relative to the pedal body, so it's harder to press it with the pedal. This will make it harder to turn on and off though.

Better solution - replace the switch.

Best solution - replace the wah with one that doesn't use a mechanical true bypass switch.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ok thanks. whats a good switch to get for it?
    Depends what the one in there now is like - PCB mounted DPDT by the look of it from an online pic... can you remove the PCB and connect the wires direct to a Carling or other better quality switch? If not you'll have to use whatever fits the PCB.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Mmm I'll be getting someone to drop it off at strung out guitars soon methinks!
    Wish I hadn't opened my mouth now :).

I'll check they have (or can get) a Carling switch, I'm out of DPDT ones.

Unless you want it de-true-bypassed of course ;).

edited April 2014
    Which Is better, and longer lasting?
    Good question!

Theoretically non true bypass is more reliable - because the signal only has to pass through one switch contact not two, so there's half as much chance of failure. But in practice it doesn't make much difference - in the last two weeks I've replaced or repaired the switches on two standard Cry Babies as well. (Non true bypass with Carling SPDT switches.) You can do better by using a DPDT with the poles wired in parallel though - that means you need a failure of both contacts at the same time to break the signal path.

But do you really want non-true bypass? Unless you're running the wah after a buffer, it will probably suck tone... a standard wah circuit does, even to the point it would probably bother me! And I don't normally mind that much.

To be honest you're probably as well to first try adjusting and/or cleaning the original switch - chances are it's just set wrong so a slight touch from the pedal half-presses the switch and lifts the contacts without fully switching it. If that fails, replace with a new DPDT.

Mechanical signal switching is a fundamental problem, it's never going to be 100% reliable. It's one of the major reasons why standard true bypass is a bad method.

That's partly why I like the Dunlop 535 so much - it uses buffered switching with a simple SPST switch, so it doesn't have this problem.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom