mixing in corner of room

I know this is not an ideal set-up, but at the moment I don't really have a choice so I'm looking for ways to improve this if possible.

I'm in the corner of a mid-size lounge so there's lot's of space behind me but obviously, there's a wall (with an open window to the kitchen) to my left. 

I've used some very simple acoustic tiles behind the monitors and on the left-hand side wall and I've also set up the ARC sound correction software to try and compensate for the poor acoustics. Is there anything else I can do to improve the sound, or should I just stick to mixing on good open back headphones which do seem to give a more accurate sound? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Assume you have a decent curtain you can pull across the window?

My rooms not great, so I tend to mix a lot on cans, the try them mix in different rooms against a commercial mix that Im trying to emulate, the best feedback you can get is to post some mixes here or elsewhere and wait....youll soon get the idea !

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • domforrdomforr Frets: 326
    The window is open - like a kitchen open type thing.  I think you're right - use headphones and check through monitors occasionally to see if things aren't getting too weird.

• duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    edited August 2018
    I would use the monitors firstly and then do the checking on the headphones.  Maybe that’s just me though, as the headphone cables annoy me after a while & I find that I get ear fatigue more with headphones than monitors.

Either way if headphones are involved this should help a bit;

https://youtu.be/V1cyEm6TRZ0
    Thanks, I'll check that out. Agree with the ear fatigue thing - seems to make my ears ring after using headphones for too long which isn't great. 
  •  You’re possibly listening too loud on the headphones if you’re getting ringing afterwards, a lot of people have them too loud.

Is there any way of setting a safe level accurately? It's really quite hard to judge when you're listening and they probably tend to get louder as you carry on working.
  • I’m not sure of a scientific calibration method other than consciously trying to mix quietly on the headphones. 

I usually use open back headphones. Anyone talking in the same room would make mixing impossible for me at the volume I listen at. But they leak everything in.