Ash and Tim Wheeler

darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
I'll admit it, Northern Irish indie rockers Ash are probably my favourite band.

Tim Wheeler is an under-rated guitarist, and is sometimes called "the indie Brian Wilson" which I sort of get, he has a melodic knack to his songs that has that lilting sixties vibe to it.

Their latest album has all the hallmarks of a band really enjoying themselves, as well as a singer/guitarist who isn't afraid to play solos.

Anyone else a fan?
You are the dreamer, and the dream...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12354
    I saw them live years ago and maybe had an album but never rocked my world really and can only remember girl from mars now which is telling (as far as I'm concerned).  But never found them irritating or anything.  Might be one of those bands where if I listened now I would remember loads of songs and had forgotten they were good.
  • They're in my top 5 and I've seen them live a few times. Not really given their recent stuff a listen though. Last album I bought was Meltdown. Vampire Love is my favourite track from that one. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    They're in my top 5 and I've seen them live a few times. Not really given their recent stuff a listen though. Last album I bought was Meltdown. Vampire Love is my favourite track from that one. 
    I can't recommend their last two albums "Kablammo" and "Islands" highly enough. :)
  • Only upon checking did I realise that Meltdown was 2004! 14 years since I bought anything by them. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    Playlist of my favourites from new to old, including Tim's superb solo album...

• SRichSRich Frets: 762
    Saw Ash with Stereophonics and the Black Crowes at Donnington at "A Day at The Races" 2001 (where did all those years go?)........Ash were amazing. In fact the whole day was ace.

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • I was/am a huge fan but Kablammo didn't do much for me and with hindsight a lot of their album tracks haven't aged very well.

For me, the last great tracks they did were on the A-Z thing, White Rabbit and Arcadia in particular. 

Need to check the latest LP out. 

• duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Only upon checking did I realise that Meltdown was 2004! 14 years since I bought anything by them. 
    Exactly the same as me.
  • Only upon checking did I realise that Meltdown was 2004! 14 years since I bought anything by them. 

If you're buying anything more recent start with A-Z Volume 1.

They spent a year releasing a single every fortnight (?) and compiled them. I think being able to just focus on writing songs rather than creating a cohesive LP freed them up, and some of the tracks on it are as good as anything they've ever done IMO.

• Always been a favourite band of mine. Thought they were at their best with Charlotte Hatherleigh(spelling might not be right).

caught them last month at Boardmasters and they played a greatest hits set, was incredible. 
  • The other guitarist in my first band (30 years ago?) thought they were great and we should get a publicist as he said that's how they got signed. He was a raging death metaller who got turned on to indie music by the Wedding Present and had written six songs and thought he was the next Cobain.