Live video on a budget

Not looking to do anything remotely professional but can anyone recommend something better than a phone to record some live performances?  Can I pick up something for under £100 s/h?  I know that I could do sound with a Tascam or Boss thingy but the Facebook generation quite like a bit of video. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4115
    I have the exact same issue.   In the end I plumped for a2nd hand camcorder then needed a stronger battery and an external Mic and now I'm £400 lighter wondering if I've done the right thing. 
  • horsehorse Frets: 1583
    I use a zoom q2n which would probably be in budget 2nd hand.

Pros:
    Small, mounts onto a camera tripod
    Stereo mic with control of level and auto level settings - avoids it.clipping
    Can go fish eye to get the whole band in shot on small stages
    Decent picture quality if the lighting is good (which often it isn't)

Cons
    Small, so easy to forget / leave behind / get nicked if you leave it out of reach
    Picture quality a bit grainy when lighting is lower
    No case or lens cap included
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Unless you want to spend loads you will always end up with something that is going to be cack in low light!... probably also poor sound quality...

If it’s a gig you want recorded, why not get a decent engineer in to record the band, tell your audience that you are videoing song X and ask them to whip out their own phones and film anything and everything... get them to send you the clips and edit it all together in a funky social media friendly video the yoof want to watch!...

you would end up with a decent recording of the band and a funky video filmed from loads of different perspectives!...
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    I quite like the look of the q2n - hadn't come across it before.  An engineer and equipment would take up too much space in a small pub.  Where we normally play, there isn't even room for us to leave the 'stage' in the interval.