Amp to PA. Is there a simple solution?

What's Hot
JavabeanJavabean Frets: 9
edited April 2014 in Guitar
I have a Fender Blues Deluxe which I have been micing with an SM57.  On some of the smaller stages I find that the mic stand behind me in front of the Blues Deluxe is a bit of a pain, as after carefully positioning it in the soundcheck, it has as the result of a collision with my size nines, moved out of position.

I've been thinking about a DI as a solution to this problem.
1. A H & K red box
2. A modelling board (Line 6, Vox Tonelab etc) into a full range monitor, then into the PA.
and  . . . . . 
3. A Tech 21 Sansamp Para DI.  
a) XLR out of the Sansamp into the PA and parallel through to the amp.
    b) The Sansamp in the effects loop , XLR out to the PA.

As you may have guessed, option three a) or b) is my preferred at the moment.
Anyone have any thoughts on this before I part with the beer tokens on the Sansamp?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Can't you use on of those clip-on thingy's so the mic is attached to your amp?
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I use a Peavey EDI box, like the Red box. Works brilliantly. The way to go for live use nowadays.
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    At church, we have one of these which we describe as an expensive piece of bent metal but it works well
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/z_right_stuff_z_bar.htm

I also have a sennheiser mic that's designed to be hung down over the speaker so you don't need a stand at all. I think it's an e606 or something
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10694
    Can't you use on of those clip-on thingy's so the mic is attached to your amp?

yes or a sennheiser 906 hung down. Or a 609 if funds are tight.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    If I'm using my combo, rather than the big rig, I use a Digitech GSP1101 in 4 cable. Does all my FX and the relays on my FCB1010 switch the amp channels. The GSP has an emulated output with a selection of user cabs but, better still, the beta firmware gives you 10 user slots for third party IR's.

I can adjust the on stage volume without affecting the feed to the desk and it sounds as good as a mic without the hassles.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    Here you go, assuming you can patch it in between the amp and the speaker:

Attenuator good for amps up to 100W, with a built-in mic-and-cab emulator on the XLR output. Just plug that into your PA, and job done.

Alternatively, for little more than the Z-bar above there's also this:

I believe it's the one in the pic above - it comes with the gooseneck and clamp, for all of £31 and change. Brilliant little mics - not as good as a 906, but I've not noticed a massive difference in overall sound quality between it and a 606.
    <space for hire>
  • Mic the back 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    I'm a big fan of these too; http://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_pra_628_mkii.htm

I have three different good quality mic sims, but none of them are as natural or versatile as a real mic, even this cheap one.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Mic the back 
    I used to do that with a Fender Super Champ. I used a mic bracket/clamp designed for the edge of a lecturn on the top edge of the amp's lower back panel, with an SM57 pointing at the back of the speaker cone in the gap between the frame legs. It sounded very good - a bit more bassy than mic'ing the front, but with a Super Champ that wasn't a bad thing.

I've also used the Red Box, it wasn't bad but sounded more boxy and a little muffled than the real mic.

What I used was something a bit like this

with a normal mic clip on it. (My one had the mic clip thread closer to the angle though, so you could fold the mic clip back parallel - not sure if that one would work.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    There's also this:

It's essentially the Jettenuator, minus the attenuation bits, a lot cheaper than a Red Box...
    <space for hire>
  • JohnnyPlectrumJohnnyPlectrum Frets: 334
    edited April 2014
    I built my own discreet version...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    Have one of these - very handy

Seemed like a good idea.....

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Palmer PDI-09 ?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself