Broken VYPYR 30

What's Hot
King85King85 Frets: 631
As posted in an off topic thread I ordered this via eBay and when I received it it had been shipped wrapped only in a bin bag.

Understandably it didn't work, was scratched on every corner, had the input hanging loose back into the body, was missing a control knob (which the neighbor who took it in found on their driveway the other day) and was generally filthy. I complained to eBay they asked the guy to issue return postage which he ignored and I got a refund.

I thought rather than chuck it I'd have a look and see if I could get it going and having taken it apart and cleaned it it now powers up.

However, it is insanely loud, ear piercing on anything over 1.5 on volume which cannot be right and it also has a constant chorus echo on it no matter what mode it is put in.

Any ideas what may be causing this?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    At a guess, broken PCB connections on the front panel board, which the pots are mounted on and will have taken a hammering - or it could be the pots themselves. It may or may not be fixable, but if you can't have a go yourself it's likely to be uneconomical for a tech given the value of a bashed-up Vypyr 30.

At this point I would keep the speaker, and any other parts you can easily remove (handles and feet in particular are surprisingly useful) and not bother going to any more trouble, as you've been refunded.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    edited August 2018
    ICBM said:
    At a guess, broken PCB connections on the front panel board, which the pots are mounted on and will have taken a hammering - or it could be the pots themselves. It may or may not be fixable, but if you can't have a go yourself it's likely to be uneconomical for a tech given the value of a bashed-up Vypyr 30.

At this point I would keep the speaker, and any other parts you can easily remove (handles and feet in particular are surprisingly useful) and not bother going to any more trouble, as you've been refunded.
    Would it be worth me taking the PCB out and putting some pics up to see if there's any signs of obvious damage someone may be able to spot?

I took it all apart and gave the corners a respray with plastidip so it doesn't look scruffy now.
    King85 said:

Would it be worth me taking the PCB out and putting some pics up to see if there's any signs of obvious damage someone may be able to spot?

I took it all apart and gave the corners a respray with plastidip so it doesn't look scruffy now.
    Worth a look, yes.

If it looks decent then even if you can't get the amp section working, you could turn it into an extension cab.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

King85 said:
    Here's a few pictures. To my untrained eye I can't see anything obvious.
    The jack looks bent or loose. If the ground isn't contacting the chassis it might do odd things, sometimes that's used as the main ground connection for the preamp. (I'm not sure about this amp.)

King85 said:

What do those switches in the first picture do?
    No idea! But if you can get it working, it's probably worth finding out - it's very unlikely to do any harm since they're obviously meant to be easily accessible.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks ICBM.

The jack was loose when I received the amp, I have tightened it up since but it is sitting at a slight angle, I think this is just the angle i was holding it whilst doing it up.

I'll connect it all back up and see if those switches do much and report back.
    The switches don't seem to do anything oddly.

I think it's borked. :/