Boss Hyper Fuzz FZ-2 Boost what’s it like?

What's Hot
builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 457
Aswell as wanting a PN-2 what is the boost like on the FZ-2?  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    Like a clean boost with bass and treble controls...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Like a clean boost with bass and treble controls...
    That’s great @ICBM, aswell as the fuzz the boost bass and treble controls would very useful for my set up... I hear the the boost has a lot of volume? 
    builttospill said:

That’s great @ICBM, aswell as the fuzz the boost bass and treble controls would very useful for my set up... I hear the the boost has a lot of volume? 
    Yes, from memory it’s huge. I never use it like that so I’m not sure what it compares to - I only use it for a slight boost with the gain right down, purely as a clean boost and not to push the amp harder.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7811
    It's huge.
    I always forget it has it as I love the fuzz side so much! Great pedal.
  • It's huge.
    I always forget it has it as I love the fuzz side so much! Great pedal.
    This is only fueling the gas @Teetonetal ;
  • How does it compare to a Klone clean boost? 
    It's probably worth mentioning that the Behringer SF-300 Super Fuzz is a very accurate FZ-2 copy, if you're on a budget. I've got both, and I can't tell the difference in sound. The Behringer is £24 brand new, so you could buy three and have one set for each mode, for less than the cheapest, most beaten-up FZ-2...

I do like the cheap orange plastic-ness of the Behringer too :). And it seems well-made for what it is - the pots and jacks are perhaps a bit flimsy, but I haven't broken them yet. But I won't be selling the Boss any time soon ;).

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2910
    @ICBM is the bypass ok on the Behringer version? I have one of their old EQ pedals and the bypass definitely takes a bit of treble and sustain away. That's the only thing holding me back from the SF at the minute! Love the FZ2 sound.
  • KitsuneKitsune Frets: 292
    Speak to the fellow at Fredric Effects. He built me a shin-ei Fy6/super fuzz/fz2 clone in a custom tin for about £90 and it’s immense.

I’ve no ideas what the general boost is like. I just dopethrone it all.the.time
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    ICBM said:
    It's probably worth mentioning that the Behringer SF-300 Super Fuzz is a very accurate FZ-2 copy, if you're on a budget. I've got both, and I can't tell the difference in sound.
    I've only got the Behringer counterpart and the boost side of the pedal has a huge amount of volume, but I couldn't really find a usable sound from it but the other two modes of the pedal are a huge amount of fun.

It's a shame Boss hasn't released a Waza FZ-2 (HM2 as well).
  • How does it compare to a Klone clean boost? 
    The volume boost is huge. Even with the gain right down (volume does nothing in boost mode) it gives a big boost. I've never really use it as a boost until last week for a wedding gig when I needed a big more gain from my BD2W and it worked really well. I haven't used a Klone for some time but from memory the FZ2 doesn't have a mid hump and is a cleaner boost with alot of tonal options with the treble and bass controls. I love the FZ2 on mode 1 for some octave fuzz craziness into another dirt pedal, I have 2 of them!
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    TTBZ said:
    @ICBM is the bypass ok on the Behringer version? I have one of their old EQ pedals and the bypass definitely takes a bit of treble and sustain away.
    I haven’t noticed it, but on the other hand I use it on bass so I might not have...

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7811
    How does it compare to a Klone clean boost? 
    The volume boost is huge. Even with the gain right down (volume does nothing in boost mode) it gives a big boost. I've never really use it as a boost until last week for a wedding gig when I needed a big more gain from my BD2W and it worked really well. I haven't used a Klone for some time but from memory the FZ2 doesn't have a mid hump and is a cleaner boost with alot of tonal options with the treble and bass controls. I love the FZ2 on mode 1 for some octave fuzz craziness into another dirt pedal, I have 2 of them!
    It's one of the few pedals where having 2 would make a lot of sense.
  • I keep the 2nd as a spare it's not on my board, just in case the first dies - however unlikely that may be. I also have a spare long chip DD3 in case my DD2 dies.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I keep the 2nd as a spare it's not on my board, just in case the first dies - however unlikely that may be. I also have a spare long chip DD3 in case my DD2 dies.
    Going OT but how do the long chip DDs compare to the modern ones?
  • I haven't tried them side by side by the first DD3s had the exact same circuit as the DD2, this is the circuit with the long chip.
    roberty said:

Going OT but how do the long chip DDs compare to the modern ones?
    They sound better. Hard to put a finger on exactly why... but they just do. The new ones are perfectly good, but the DD-2/long-chip DD-3 just has some sort of extra magic. I would prefer it not to be so :).

• Just snagged a Boss FZ-2 on ebay a few moments ago... just hoping It’s not borked!! Owners of FZ-2’s are there any good settings I should be aware of.
    Just snagged a Boss FZ-2 on ebay a few moments ago... just hoping It’s not borked!! Owners of FZ-2’s are there any good settings I should be aware of.
    It’s actually very easy to find what you want - the controls are almost completely non-interactive, compared to many dirt pedals - just set each one how you want, in any order.

For bass I like the gain at 0 - it’s still quite fuzzy there - and the bass and treble about 2 o’clock, with level wherever balances with the clean sound (depends on the bass, but usually 12-1 o’clock). That makes Fuzz 1 my normal dirt sound, Fuzz 2 a huge boomy synth-fuzz, and the boost a slightly bigger tone without much volume boost.

For guitar I like more gain and treble, and less bass - that makes Fuzz 1 more of a Jesus & Mary Chain sound, and Fuzz 2 a great Ennio Morricone spaghetti western tone... you can forget subtlety or controlling it with the guitar dynamics, but if that's your thing you probably don't want an FZ-2 anyway! (I don't use clean boost for guitar really.)

• ICBM said:
    Just snagged a Boss FZ-2 on ebay a few moments ago... just hoping It’s not borked!! Owners of FZ-2’s are there any good settings I should be aware of.
    It’s actually very easy to find what you want - the controls are almost completely non-interactive, compared to many dirt pedals - just set each one how you want, in any order.

For bass I like the gain at 0 - it’s still quite fuzzy there - and the bass and treble about 2 o’clock, with level wherever balances with the clean sound (depends on the bass, but usually 12-1 o’clock). That makes Fuzz 1 my normal dirt sound, Fuzz 2 a huge boomy synth-fuzz, and the boost a slightly bigger tone without much volume boost.

For guitar I like more gain and treble, and less bass - that makes Fuzz 1 more of a Jesus & Mary Chain sound, and Fuzz 2 a great Ennio Morricone spaghetti western tone... you can forget subtlety or controlling it with the guitar dynamics, but if that's your thing you probably don't want an FZ-2 anyway! (I don't use clean boost for guitar really.)
    Again many thanks for your input @ICBM ;