Monster Mod Project: LPJDC Strap Button Relocation

What's Hot
Right you talented crowd of luthiers and guitar modification freaks: prepare to be amazed AND all advice gratefully received.

The brief: I recently acquired this rather jolly LPJDC which I'm really rather fond of.  A LOT.  But there's this one thing: even with my trim, toned midriff as befits a 47 year old lawyer, the original position of the neck end strap button (Fig. 1) tended to dig into the paunch, causing irritability and distraction from playing Dad Rock riffs.

What to do?  Well did you know that with craftsmanship and the deft application of precision tools, said button proved capable of removal?! Problem solved! (Fig. 2)

But not quite: the issue that then arises is where (if anywhere - a kinda prequisite of having any pretensions to playing the thing standing up) to replace it?  Should one go for the tip of the top horn, shown yellow (Fig. 3), or slightly beneath it, as in the blue example?  Would either be likely to cause neck dive? 

All advice, as ever, gratefully received.

Fig. 1: original strap button in situ.

Fig. 2: strap button removed!  A schematic for the correct procedure can be made available, if required.

Fig. 3: the amateur luthier's dilemma.
Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7028
    tFB Trader
    Just attach the strap using a shoelace behind the nut, folk-singer style ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26987
    Definitely 2, just like a strat. 3 would make for weird balance.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1590
    Tip of the horn, yellow.  That's where mine is relocated to. Balances nicely on the strap.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Tip of the horn, yellow.  That's where mine is relocated to. Balances nicely on the strap.

All joking aside, have you actually done this to a similar model, and it worked ok?  Not keen to expose this bad bad boy to excessive mutilation before I'm pretty sure of my bearings.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Just attach the strap using a shoelace behind the nut, folk-singer style ;)
    LOLZ awarded :)
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    Definitely 2, just like a strat. 3 would make for weird balance.
    Seems to be an emerging (non-folk singer) majority
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    JerkMoans said:

All joking aside, have you actually done this to a similar model, and it worked ok?  Not keen to expose this bad bad boy to excessive mutilation before I'm pretty sure of my bearings.

Here's mine.

Apologies for crap, old phone photo. That's an old DC special and it needed various things doing to it when I bought it - refret, nut etc. and it had really bad neck dive, no doubt made worse by having a set of Grovers.  So I took it into Chandlers to sort everything out, including fitting Straplocks with one on the upper horn. So wasn't my hand on the drill but I don't see it would be difficult to do. 
    JerkMoans said:

Here's mine.

Apologies for crap, old phone photo. That's an old DC special and it needed various things doing to it when I bought it - refret, nut etc. and it had really bad neck dive, no doubt made worse by having a set of Grovers.  So I took it into Chandlers to sort everything out, including fitting Straplocks with one on the upper horn. So wasn't my hand on the drill but I don't see it would be difficult to do. 
    That picture of my guitar's Soul Twin settles it.  One more stiff G&T to settle the nerves, and I'm going in with the DeWalt.  Thank you, my new LPDC forum chum.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    Good luck!  Show us the after photo too. 

Looks like nice wood - what sort of LPJ is it?

edited August 2018
    Good luck!  Show us the after photo too. 

Looks like nice wood - what sort of LPJ is it?

Thanks!  This...  @FelineGuitars LPDC...

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    Ah, lovely! I had a play on one there when I took my Strat in for a refret recently. Very nice it was.  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    Tip of the horn, *just* on the neck side of the point - exactly like springhead’s. That will not only not cause neck dive, it will be better than it is now.

Just make sure you drill the hole properly, or there is a possibility of splitting the horn.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    We did one guitar with a button on the horn and a recessed flush mount Dunlop straplock fitting on the rear
    Thus giving both options, and not sticking out if you choose not to use the rear mount one

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

We did one guitar with a button on the horn and a recessed flush mount Dunlop straplock fitting on the rear
    Thus giving both options, and not sticking out if you choose not to use the rear mount one
    Truly you think of everything!

Why do these and SGs tend to have rear mounted buttons? Not being critical, just intrigued...
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    JerkMoans said:

Why do these and SGs tend to have rear mounted buttons? Not being critical, just intrigued...
    Cos, I think they feel wrong when the strap button is on the top horn on these guitars... I just am used to the guitar hanging a particular way. I guess its just what you are used to/comfy with. :-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    impmann said:
    JerkMoans said:

Cos, I think they feel wrong when the strap button is on the top horn on these guitars... I just am used to the guitar hanging a particular way. I guess its just what you are used to/comfy with. :-)
    The problem is that as a fat man (me, not you) having the strap button there actually results in tilting the playing surface of the guitar away from you.
    So the solution is less pies, clearly ! 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    DrBob said:
    impmann said:
    JerkMoans said:

The problem is that as a fat man (me, not you) having the strap button there actually results in tilting the playing surface of the guitar away from you.
    So the solution is less pies, clearly ! 
    I’m not that fat, but the tilt bothers me too.  I much prefer to have the button on the top horn
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    When they were first designed, guitars were worn a lot higher than they usually are today. The angle of the strap then works better with the button on the heel. You need a horn more like the length of a Strat’s to make it fit properly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein