Spotify Knows You...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1803
    Perhaps if spotify actually paid the people who submit music to their platform rather than developing a stat tracker then i could afford a subscription to their service.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 2364
    timmysoft said:
    Perhaps if spotify actually paid the people who submit music to their platform rather than developing a stat tracker then i could afford a subscription to their service.
    Spotify is essentially owned by the record labels.  They give 70% of their (substantial) revenue to said labels, their own profit margin is, well, non-existent, they lose money.

So really the blame lies with the labels for the horrible deals they get artists to sign?
    Warning: this post may contain overtly affectionate references to Mary Spender
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 329
    I wish Spotify had a "cover band member" mode, where it would disregard the songs you have to play over and over whilst learning them. My personal listening tastes have very little crossover with the stuff I end up playing in bands!
    Trading feedback here
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 1719
    Trude said:
    I wish Spotify had a "cover band member" mode, where it would disregard the songs you have to play over and over whilst learning them. My personal listening tastes have very little crossover with the stuff I end up playing in bands!
    My top 10 is all stuff I've been learning too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 180
    What if you start a Private Session before playing the tracks - does that help?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • stevebrumstevebrum Frets: 4381
    edited December 11
    timmysoft said:
    It’s £9.99 a month - I appreciate the artists get next to fuck all but that does seem to represent good value to the end user? 

Ok you don’t actually own anything - but you get access to an almost limitless library of music.

Even if you just used it as a filter it could potentially save you that a month in cds/whatever format that you bought and then found you didn’t like.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 2364
    stevebrum said:
    timmysoft said:
    It’s £9.99 a month - I appreciate the artists get next to fuck all ...
    It really is just the labels fucking the artists as they always have, it isn't fair to blame Spotify.

It's a big opportunity for artists the modern business as well, but you need to connect with and sell to fans.  The youtube model provides a living in music for Rabea Massad, Mary Spender and a fortune for Rob Chapman.  Band can happily get fans spending £50 on a package containing one album with a t-shirt, signed, with a mug etc.

Gigs now have far higher prices than they did a decade ago, merchandise sales at said gigs are a huge part of revenue.

The business has changed, recorded music "sales" are now a smaller chunk but there are still good livings to be made.

You see indignant artists comparing their revenue from 30k CD sales to 30k streams, but that's just..... bollocks.... when you think about it.
    Warning: this post may contain overtly affectionate references to Mary Spender