best way to shield a strat?

What's Hot
Is shielding paint OK or would I be better to use the stick on foil stuff, or .... something else?

Any special considerations? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    I prefer self-adhesive copper foil. It's more of a faff than paint, but I've found it more effective - several times I've used it to fix a paint-shielded guitar which is still causing trouble, and always fixed it. You do need to spot-solder across every joint (just in one place is fine) and connect it properly to ground with a soldered-on wire to absolutely guarantee complete conductivity, but that's not much work, it's the cutting and fitting which is.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    I would recommend doing the bottom of the routing first, with pieces cut slightly oversize, so they just go up the sides a bit, then go round the sides with pieces wide enough that you can just fold a little over onto the top surface. Use spots of solder to ensure electrical continuity as ICBM says (I do this even if the foil is supposed to have conductive adhesive - it doesn't always seem to work that well). I also run strips of copper out out to some of the pickguard screw positions, as there is a clamping effect between scratchplate and body that helps with getting a good electrical connection.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom